GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash rattle

KWH

Anyone come across a dash rattle on the mk8, seems from the dash insert, mainly on rough surface roads
Yes my Golf 8 Style has developed one. It's booked in with the dealer early September to investigate. The vibration noise disappears when the inside of the car is fairly hot.

The fault has now been traced to the centre console. The dealer replaced the centre armrest and padded out the centre console. Everything all quiet now. Many thanks to Inchcape Swindon for their patience and sorting this out free of charge.

Last edited:

MIKE PP.

Go Kart Newbie
The rattle on mine is from the driver's door and sometimes the steering column,or both at the same time! It quietens down when warmed up and on smoother surfaces

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
OMG in the last couple of weeks I've read so many messages of Golf 8 owners with rattle problems that I am starting to have dreams about them :eek: :LOL: :LOL:..
So what I know so far:
1) rattle coming from the tweeter insert...
2) rattle coming from the door interior panel and a fix seems to remove the plastic cover behind the door handle and tighten the screw.
3) rattle coming from the rear seat and the hook is the culprit , some workshop put strong tape around the middle of the hook , probably last a couple a days :LOL::LOL: , someone solved it temporarily by adding some foam between the seat and the hook area...

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
I had a buzzing rattle which I eventually traced to the left hand side of the centre console (where the cup holders are). It only sounded on coarse road surfaces and at certain temperatures. It could be stopped (or at least reduced) by placing your hand between the console and the front passenger seat and pressing the plastic side of the console. Seems to have been sorted by pusing some foam under the plastic at that side.

cp100

I had a rattle problem with my new golf , purchased it before lock down began and could not go back earlier to the garage as all shut ,it had to go into the workshop while in for the sofware update and the whole of the dash inside the car had to come out , they found 2 bolts left in from when it was built, not happy damaged interior doing it now waiting or that to be replaced. the car had numerous software issues it even braked twice on me while driving and the red crash came up on dash car stopped dead in road but nothing in front of me, god knows how nobody ran into the back of me( try and explain that one "the car did it") , passenger window rattles conatantly, travel assist unavailabe pinging all the time got a bit better after upadate but started again after about 2 days but not as bad we connect keeps disconecting and greying out for days then randomly comes back on sos function waiting to be replaced as that doesnt work, front parking sensor error popping up all time and the latest one parked my car on a slope , jumped in turned it on out it into revers and car shot forward and PARKING BREAK ERROR ON DASH AND FRONT SENSOR ERROR. tried to get car reversed about 8 time went forward every time then managed to get the break to hold long enough for me to reverse out . ended up about 1 inch away from hitting something in front of me. so now i have a useless unreliable £26.0000 car sat on my drive waiting to go back to garage again.
Do not buy this car

Brakspear

Anyone work out what this was? Got same thing happening on mine.

Only on rough surfaces when doing about 20 mph. Worse when cold.

Seems to be coming from within the dash (potentially more on the passenger side).

Reactions: tos

MIKE PP.

Go Kart Newbie
Mine happens on rough/course surfaces but is worse in hot weather. Much less noticeable when cooler. Still haven't found what is causing the problem!

Chriz1

Passed Driver's Ed
Have a rattle to not sure where it's coming from though near centre console or seat belt buckle I think

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Have a rattle to not sure where it's coming from though near centre console or seat belt buckle I think

The source of unwanted noises in a car can be very deceptive and is often from somewhere completely different to where you might think the noise is coming from.

As it can be very difficult - and potentially dangerous - trying to locate an unwanted noise source while driving, it’s best to take a passenger with you who can move around the cabin and apply pressure to trim panels etc. in an effort to pinpoint where the rattling is coming from. Alternatively, get someone else to drive while you attempt to track down the noise.

I’d only take the car back to the dealer to fix an unwanted cabin noise as a last resort. If they remove interior trim panels when attempting to locate the noise, there’s not only a risk of them causing damage to your car‘s interior, you may end up with additional unwanted noises.

ah184

Passed Driver's Ed
Car going into the dealers on Tuesday to have the centre console replaced under warranty as the annoying rattle was confirmed to be the cup holder which cannot be replaced as a separate part.

jhunter88

When I touch the front passenger seat belt buckle, I can feel the vibration which matches the sound - but it doesn’t seem to be the actual buckle I don’t think. The front passenger says it sounds like it’s from the driver door, and as the driver it sounds like it’s from the passenger door. Seems to increase at low speeds.
Have tried the suggestions on here but no luck so far, anyone who gets a fix do share!