GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daytime Running Lights (DRL) not working

dfw_gti

Hi Everyone

Brand new member here looking for an easy fix (fingers crossed).

I just got a 2015 GTI with Lighting Package. I can't get the DRLs to turn on and I am getting a dash light and warning to "Check Left/Right DRL". I know everyone on this forum wants them off, but I like the way they look and I really just want this stupid dashlight off. I've been too busy to really dive in and try to troubleshoot but if anyone has had this problem please let me know if there is a simple fix. If there is no simple fix, please recommend the main things to check (fusebox, etc.). I haven't opened up the headlamps so I am not even sure if these DRLs have regular bulbs? Maybe both of them just burnt out?

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated for when I try to figure this out tonight! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7547 (2).jpg
    IMG_7547 (2).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 4,499
  • IMG_7546.JPG
    IMG_7546.JPG
    930.8 KB · Views: 4,839
  • IMG_7545.JPG
    IMG_7545.JPG
    871.7 KB · Views: 4,181
Last edited:

dfw_gti

Right?! I was just reading people like to turn them off with OBDeleven.

But no like I said I haven't really been able to look at them. I just got the car on Sunday and I will investigate further tonight. But when I do, it appears I will have to pull the bumper off and pull the headlight housing out since I have the xenon headlights. Is that a correct assessment?

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I don't think there is a bulb for the DRL, only for the low/high beam.

I turned mine off because my GTI is red and I live in SoCal. If it was a dark color they would be on.

dfw_gti

Yeah I agree, they look better on dark cars.

And I assumed there was no bulb too, though I've never messed with lights like these before. Do you know if there is any part of the DRL/headlight I could replace to see if it would fix the issue?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There's no replaceable bulbs. If they're bad you need new headlight assemblies. Were they working when you bought the car?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
There's no replaceable bulbs. If they're bad you need new headlight assemblies. Were they working when you bought the car?

^ this

They’re likely setup to both disable when one malfunctions so that there isn’t just one running at a time. The cornering bulbs do this as well, I believe.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I am so glad I don't have LP with LED DRLs. I can't fathom the idea of having to replace an entire headlamp unit if one LED goes.

Remember that whole Golf Mk5 LED third brake light debacle? "But LEDs will never burn out". LOL.

dfw_gti

Yes they were out when I bought it. You’re probably right that they both go out if one does. It just seems pretty ridiculous that I would have to replace the entire headlight for just a bad DRL. Thanks VW for making that as easy as possible...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yes they were out when I bought it. You’re probably right that they both go out if one does. It just seems pretty ridiculous that I would have to replace the entire headlight for just a bad DRL. Thanks VW for making that as easy as possible...

There's a lesson in here somewhere...

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Tried scrolling through your radio for light settings? I have drl on or off option i coded. Never threw a check bulb light though.

dfw_gti

No the U will not come on at all. I haven't found a way to replace the LEDs so I was going to try replacing the ballasts first.