GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DBV2 V2 Turbo

Malingerer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I searched but couldn’t find a definitive answer . Is it a ball bearing or journal bearing turbo , Looking to purchase a S3 with this turbo , it is advertised as a “triple ball bearing turbo”. I believe a few people on here are running that turbo . You guys happy with them .

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I searched but couldn’t find a definitive answer . Is it a ball bearing or journal bearing turbo , Looking to purchase a S3 with this turbo , it is advertised as a “triple ball bearing turbo”. I believe a few people on here are running that turbo . You guys happy with them .
There's both of them, journal bearing and triple ball bearing. I have the V2 journal bearing version and have been running it for years now and it puts the power down (see my signature). I've posted all of my dyno graphs, through the various phases of performance, in my build thread. The journal bearing versions are pretty damn solid but the early years of the TBB version have had their issues. Dan, owner of DBV2, has made adjustments to them over the years to help improve them so the TBB versions sold these days are probably doing a lot better than the earlier versions.

Malingerer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Thank you Now I have to find out if it’s the early version or the later version who are you tuned by This car is currently running a EQT 91 octane along with their DsG tune .
It was originally a Cali car but now it is in NY
Apparently it is one of 5 ,2016 Viper Green cars in the Country

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Stay away from Dbv2 this was my experience on their v2 journal bearing at 3k miles.

Attachments

• 20201013_172911.jpg
    20201013_172911.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 20201013_172637.jpg
    20201013_172637.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20220304-081737_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220304-081737_Gallery.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 39

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Do not buy it unless you plan on changing the turbo. There's so many stories of their various hybrids blowing up, whether it's a V2 or TBB or whatever, stay very far away.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Thank you Now I have to find out if it’s the early version or the later version who are you tuned by This car is currently running a EQT 91 octane along with their DsG tune .
It was originally a Cali car but now it is in NY
Apparently it is one of 5 ,2016 Viper Green cars in the Country
Currently tuned by EQT but that will be changing once I swap turbos.

Stay away from Dbv2 this was my experience on their v2 journal bearing at 3k miles.
C'mon man, just because you had an issue doesn't mean they are all bad. You can find that shit with just about every hybrid turbo manufactorer. I had 3 Vortex's blow on me before making the switch. Do you think after my first Vortex popping I was like you and jumped ship right away? No, I gave EQT 2 more chances before switching to DBV2.

Do not buy it unless you plan on changing the turbo. There's so many stories of their various hybrids blowing up, whether it's a V2 or TBB or whatever, stay very far away.
You guys crack me up on here with this shit. Long ago it was Littco turbos were shit, then TPC, then VTT, then EQT, then DBV2. This forum is a small community so the stories on here don't equal many. When the TBB versions came out years ago there were issues with them. Now, you don't hear it that much.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Currently tuned by EQT but that will be changing once I swap turbos.

C'mon man, just because you had an issue doesn't mean they are all bad. You can find that shit with just about every hybrid turbo manufactorer. I had 3 Vortex's blow on me before making the switch. Do you think after my first Vortex popping I was like you and jumped ship right away? No, I gave EQT 2 more chances before switching to DBV2.

You guys crack me up on here with this shit. Long ago it was Littco turbos were shit, then TPC, then VTT, then EQT, then DBV2. This forum is a small community so the stories on here don't equal many. When the TBB versions came out years ago there were issues with them. Now, you don't hear it that much.
Its not just me theres a huge group of people on Fb that has had similar or the same issues. Dan offered a piss poor excuse why it failed. Claimed something got sucked into the intake and destroyed the turbo. That definitely didnt happen. Sorry I'm not a fan boy of dbv2

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I had one that failed. Before it let go it was lazy. Much happier with my vortex. YMMV.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Its not just me theres a huge group of people on Fb that has had similar or the same issues. Dan offered a piss poor excuse why it failed. Claimed something got sucked into the intake and destroyed the turbo. That definitely didnt happen. Sorry I'm not a fan boy of dbv2
I'm sure there is, just like there's one for Vortex turbos. I already know about the early TBBs having issues but like everybody else, you make improvements. I understand that there are a shit ton of EQT Vortex fan boys in here so no matter what I say, it goes onto deaf ears. The V1 and V2 journal bearing turbos are solid. My dyno graphs prove it and I've been abusing that turbo for 3 - 4 years now and it spools just as fast as an XL.

JerseyDrew going OpenSource? I'm here for it. 🫂
Thanks Diggs, appreciate the offer but I'll be going with Sneeky for my G30-900 turbo. If I decide later on to mess with it on my own, I'll reach out to you.