GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham

Sterling

Steel Tip
What was the subject of the debate?

dustinwark

Miesian
Ham is an absolute and complete idiot. It was painful to watch his replies where he dodge most of the questions.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Ham is an absolute and complete idiot. It was painful to watch his replies where he dodge most of the questions.

No kidding, I think Nye asked Ham the same question 5 times - which was explain to me and everyone the concrete evidence to support your beliefs and theories - and he didn't address it once. Also, this part:

Debate moderator: Nye, can you explain how consciousness came to be
Nye: I cannot, it's one of today's unsolved mysteries. This is one of the many points of science, to expand our knowledge of how we came to be. If you discover something that disproves a current theory, you are a hero. I encourage the future generations to aim to make these new discoveries.
Ham, response to Nye: Actually Bill, there is a book already that states how consciousness came to be, the bible.

:mad0259:

dustinwark

Miesian
That damn book response made me want to pull my hair out. Other great points included

"Do you take the bible literally?" "Well, what do you mean by literally? If you mean naturally, then yes I do. People misinterpret the bible". So no, you don't and I am pretty sure literally has a clear definition.

"Hypothetically if there was evidence to prove the earth was older than 10,000 years, would you still believe in god?" "There is no hypothetical because science couldn't prove anything". THAT'S NOT AN ANSWER HAM. IT'S HYPOTHETICAL.

Also, apparently if you weren't there to experience it, you can't prove it! (except for the bible I guess).

And I loved that he pointed out the one racist part of early darwinism (one human race can be better than others), but certainly didn't mention any of the numerous racist/sexist/etc shit in the bible.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
That damn book response made me want to pull my hair out. Other great points included

"Do you take the bible literally?" "Well, what do you mean by literally? If you mean naturally, then yes I do. People misinterpret the bible". So no, you don't and I am pretty sure literally has a clear definition.

I believe Nye's response to this was something along the lines of: "so let me get this straight.... You choose to take certain things literal about the bible, but choose to interpret other things you may not agree with as your own way?" The question was do you take the bible literally.. He avoids questions like the plague

"Hypothetically if there was evidence to prove the earth was older than 10,000 years, would you still believe in god?" "There is no hypothetical because science couldn't prove anything". THAT'S NOT AN ANSWER HAM. IT'S HYPOTHETICAL.

I seriously don't think he understands the term hypothetical. There were two questions regarding hypothetical scenarios, both of which he ignored because he couldn't for the life of him admit that even if there REALLY was proof that would disprove his beliefs, that he would dismiss them as false.

Also, apparently if you weren't there to experience it, you can't prove it! (except for the bible I guess).

And I loved that he pointed out the one racist part of early darwinism (one human race can be better than others), but certainly didn't mention any of the numerous racist/sexist/etc shit in the bible.

This sums up the debate pretty well

Sterling

Steel Tip
Yay God.

Watched it last night.

The key thing is faith. If someone has so much belief in something without requiring proof, then logic and reasonable thinking doesn't apply.

Makes me wonder if people like Ken Ham truly believe, or if they just force their self to believe, because they are scared not to.

1972vw

Ready to race!
I've been to the creation museum...back when I was actually religious. Looking back, that place is crazy. There really are life-size models of humans riding dinosaurs, you can't make that shit up lol

I didn't watch the debate because the ignorance would anger me, and I already know what's fact and fiction.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
I've been to the creation museum...back when I was actually religious. Looking back, that place is crazy. There really are life-size models of humans riding dinosaurs, you can't make that shit up lol

I didn't watch the debate because the ignorance would anger me, and I already know what's fact and fiction.

It was a fairly pointless debate. I mean, educational (50% of it at least) but as you said the level of ignorance with Ham made the whole thing make you want to pull your own hair out. I can't even imagine what Bill Nye must have been thinking during that

Tapatalkin

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
It was a bitter sweet 2 and a half hours. Half of which was full of Bill Nye awesome. The other half was full of "You weren't there to see it, so you're just assuming so you're wrong" (Which is hugely hypocritical when you take into account his blind faith) and "You want proof? It's written right here in this book".

Bill makes a point about how science is about the sense of wonder and never being content with the answer you are given. This completely lays a smack down on on Ham's claim that Creationalists can make important impacts on science and technology. When asked about the origins of consciousness and what happened before the big bang, Ham refers to a verse in the Bible and uses that an the answer to the question. A creationalist in a time before the discovery of bacteria and viruses would simply assume that diseases like Malaria and the Small Pox were just Gods ways of punishing those who have sinned.

Last edited:

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
It was a bitter sweet 2 and a half hours. Half of which was full of Bill Nye awesome. The other half was full of "You weren't there to see it, so you're just assuming so you're wrong" (Which is hugely hypocritical when you take into account his blind faith) and "You want proof? It's written right here in this book".

Bill makes a point about how science is about the sense of wonder and never being content with the answer you are given. This completely lays a smack down on on Ham's claim that Creationalists can make important impacts on science and technology. When asked about the origins of consciousness and what happened before the big bang, Ham refers to a verse in the Bible and uses that an the answer to the question. A creationalist in a time before the discovery of bacteria and viruses would simply assume that diseases like Malaria and the Small Pox were just Gods ways of punishing those who have sinned.

+1 on Bill Nye awesome. He's a cool dude, his AMA on reddit was awesome too.

He's pretty much the only reason I watched it, Bill Nye. That and I was so curious to see what kind of answers a creationist representative could come up with in response to Nye's points.

dustinwark

Miesian
It was a fairly pointless debate. I mean, educational (50% of it at least) but as you said the level of ignorance with Ham made the whole thing make you want to pull your own hair out. I can't even imagine what Bill Nye must have been thinking during that

Tapatalkin

It's been said by others before, but I don't think Nye did the debate to "beat" Ham or change his mind, he knew a large audience of people who normally don't see the other side of the debate would be watching and he wanted to plant a seed with them. If you notice a lot of his answers aren't even directed at Ham, but the people watching as a plea to science and education.