GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

digital slr for xmas, what to get?

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
yep. i've been dying to get my hands on a 10.5mm DX fisheye... $600 new

i contacted someone on craigslist who was selling theirs for $400. no reply as of yet.

I bet someone scooped it up already...good deals on craigslist here last like an hour...lol

omegach

Banned
ok i just checked craigslist again, and the listing is gone. great.

even ebay doesn't have any new 10.5mm fisheyes for under msrp...

Vdub805

After a lot of research into the same price range as you I decided to go with a D40. I got it for $455 with a kit lens at best buy. I was shooting a Canon S3IS before which was more or less the most adjustable P/S available but it simply wasn't cutting it, plus it went and broke on me. The XTi was about $100-$150 more than the D40 and it only came in silver (i didn't like the silver) so the choice was a no-brainer. with a 2 gig SD card the total came out to $510 or so with tax (7% here in PA). I'm excited to get it on xmas.

how did you get a d40 for 455 from best buy? im going to get the d40 pretty soon and there selling it for $500, was it a out of the box deal?

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
dx format wide angles are pricey...you're looking at at leat 400 for an OK one...USED.

exactly why im starting to save now lol

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED

pbfoot

Ready to race!
That a good price...D40's at best buy here are like 550. Is that with the 18-55mm? Just remember AF-S lenses only.
yea, that almost turned me off of the d40, but it turns out the included kit lens is an AF-S lens, so I couldn't pass it up for the price.
how did you get a d40 for 455 from best buy? im going to get the d40 pretty soon and there selling it for $500, was it a out of the box deal?

It was on sale for $520 and I had a 12% off coupon from being a reward zone member that worked on DSLR's (they usually don't). Brand new non-opened box.

JeepNGLI

Heart-ing Forge Since 06
If a camera says SLR Autofocus, does that mean you can't manually adjust the focus? I don't understand what they mean. I was looking at something like the Canon EOS K2. Its gotta be better than my crappy Canon SD200(which I've been unhappy with since its purchase). I mean, is there any decent SLR's under 400 bucks?

Edit: Didn't realize the K2 was 35mm film. But still want to know whats the cheapest you can get a decent SLR.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
the lens dictates if it can or cannot but set to manual focus. I haven't come across a Canon mountable lens that didn't have a switch for AF/MF