GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disable window washer fluid alert

sshlyk

Ready to race!
Does anyway know if there is a coding to disable washer fluid alert? It is pretty annoyng, not sure if VW expects me to add fluid while I am driving since it pops every 5 minutes.

adam1991

Banned
I think we discussed this just recently, and came up with "no".

As if the lack of fluid coming out the first time doesn't give you enough information...

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
This is so annoying. I was on a 2-hour road trip when the alert came up..and proceeded to remind me every 5 minutes or so. I eventually had to stop at a gas station and buy some cheap washer fluid just to shut the damn thing up.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The reason it will constantly "ding", is because the level of the fluid is enough that depending on the level of the car, sometimes it will be fine, and sometimes it will trigger the sensor.

Two options. Fill it up, or keep using it until it only reads low.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Does anyway know if there is a coding to disable washer fluid alert? It is pretty annoyng, not sure if VW expects me to add fluid while I am driving since it pops every 5 minutes.

I think we discussed this just recently, and came up with "no".

If I had been at that party, I would have said "yes":

Module 09 --> Adaptation --> HW Verbau --> Insufficient washer fluid --> change "Installed" to "Not installed"

This deactivates the sensor.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
yeah, that's now on my to-do list.

I took delivery with the silly thing low, and drove home that way. Just 15 minutes was enough to annoy me greatly.;

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I love how the R owners complain about the lack of a sensor but the GTI owners want to code it out :D

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I love how the R owners complain about the lack of a sensor but the GTI owners want to code it out :D

That is pretty funny.

I'm perfectly happy with having it. I'd rather that than be on a restricted access highway during a snow storm and run out of fluid. Yes it'll make me want to pull over first chance I have to refill it, but that's a good thing.

I think the implementation could have been better-- rather than give obnoxious warnings every five minutes, it should just warn once when it first senses it, then once again every time you start the car. Or a little warning light can stay lit until you fill it. Far less obnoxious. I had a Mazda that did that-- just a light that came on but it never beeped or flashed at you obnoxiously.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yep,

If I had been at that party, I would have said "yes": Module 09 --> Adaptation --> HW Verbau --> Insufficient washer fluid --> change "Installed" to "Not installed". This deactivates the sensor.

It was discussed HERE. I disabled my alert on June 28th and wondered...

The downside to these settings is I won't get any warning, even when the reservoir is empty. In short, it's behaving like my Mk6 Jettas. Which is worse, getting the incessant warnings or being surprised by an empty reservoir? Surprises are infrequent on my Mk6's, but the GTI reservoir is smaller. I suspect I may prefer the warnings over being surprised. I guess I'll find out in a month or so. :p

I got my surprise just a couple weeks ago. it wasn't bad. The weather was nice and stopping for fluid was convenient. But, as SouthPawBoston stated in that thread, it's not always convenient to stop. I must admit that I appreciated not having the annoying chime. But being caught in the winter might suck. We'll see. HAHA!

Scott

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
pretty sure it dings every 5 minutes when it gets low enough, irregardless of the shloshing. It is very annoying when you have no place to stop.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
pretty sure it dings every 5 minutes when it gets low enough, irregardless of the shloshing. It is very annoying when you have no place to stop.

Once my level gets low enough it only dings once when I start the car, and the light stays on. That being said, I might have a bad sensor, because when it goes off, it takes like no fluid at all to top it up.