GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

mattcony

Curiosity here - got myself a cable and everything is hooked up and although component protection is active. CarPlay all works as it should, can’t find any restrictions is this normal, I thought this had to be activated also ?

Attachments

• 0EE8F4CB-59AD-4108-A130-A480DBEE1BD1.jpeg
    0EE8F4CB-59AD-4108-A130-A480DBEE1BD1.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 253
  • BB4E5ACB-0F14-4E5D-BBB5-D92E80E095FF.jpeg
    BB4E5ACB-0F14-4E5D-BBB5-D92E80E095FF.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 230

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Curiosity here - got myself a cable and everything is hooked up and although component protection is active. CarPlay all works as it should, can’t find any restrictions is this normal, I thought this had to be activated also ?
that's how it functions with component protection active. once it is removed carplay will need to be activated in order to work.

StillBroke

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI SE
Spent around two hours last night installing the 8" screen, MIB2 unit, and usb port. When I power the car on the screen is not lighting up. It's getting power, because the button trims are lighting up. Any idea what the problem would be? Is it more likely the screen or head unit? I'm not sure where to being trouble shooting this.

To add insult to injury, my battery was dead this morning.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Spent around two hours last night installing the 8" screen, MIB2 unit, and usb port. When I power the car on the screen is not lighting up. It's getting power, because the button trims are lighting up. Any idea what the problem would be? Is it more likely the screen or head unit? I'm not sure where to being trouble shooting this.

To add insult to injury, my battery was dead this morning.
are you sure both connections are secure in the back of the screen? you may have to modify one of them to get it to plug in all the way.

to troubleshoot, plug in your new screen to the old brain. It will not function correctly due to a different resolution, but if it is operational the screen will at least turn on.

StillBroke

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI SE
are you sure both connections are secure in the back of the screen? you may have to modify one of them to get it to plug in all the way.

to troubleshoot, plug in your new screen to the old brain. It will not function correctly due to a different resolution, but if it is operational the screen will at least turn on.
I had to shave down the smaller plug to get it to fit. I pulled the screen out after I had turned the car on, and it seemed like it was firmly connected. Checked head unit connections as well. I'll try putting the old unit back in and see what I get...

StillBroke

Car(s)
2015 MK7 GTI SE
Swapped the old head unit back in. Screen looks like this. Safe to say I got a bad MIB2 unit?

Attachments

• 1C6718E1-180F-4A6C-933C-92F746F22BA7.jpeg
    1C6718E1-180F-4A6C-933C-92F746F22BA7.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 192

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Swapped the old head unit back in. Screen looks like this. Safe to say I got a bad MIB2 unit?
hard to say for sure, but yea, I'd lean towards the brain is probably bad. hopefully it wasn't too expensive, if you got it from ebay and it wasn't listed as "for parts only", you should be able to return for refund or try a paypal claim.

you can try a hard reset on it with the new screen and new brain, when it is powered on press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds, see if anything happens.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I am planning conversion from MIB1 to MIB2 on my 2015 GTI S (non-Fender unit, non-Nav). Below is the list of parts I intend to use:

3Q0035844A (head unit MIB2)
3G0919605H (6.5 in screen)
5G0035222E (usb wiring)

I can source the used parts and perform hardware installation, but what else is needed to have fully functional system with Apple CarPlay?
What kind of money is needed for component protection removal and who do you guys use?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Most people in here will recommend Jack and his remote services. With all parts installed, you'll need a computer running TeamViewer, a vas5054a cable for component protection removal,dlink dub e100 for carplay activation, cat5 cable, and an SD card (accessible via the computer running TeamViewer).