GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Removing the "GTI" Front Grille Emblem

VrstewartW

What is a Ronaldo?
I just tried this to see what it would look like and took some pics just in case someone wanted to try it also. Dont mind the dirty car. :biggrin:

Tools: Phillips Screw driver
Torxscrew driver (not sure what size i used)

regular front view

First, look at the top side of the bottom grill and look for two screws, unscrew those. Heres where they should be located.

Now, pop the hood and you should see this. Use the torx screw driver to unscrew the screws on the left and right side and pull the tabs and just wiggle the whole assembly out. Should come out pretty easily.

Now that you got the grill out, flip it around and youll see three tabs. Pull the tabs the direction of the arrows. The one going left and right was kinda hard, had to wiggle it in both directions.

Now just reassemble everything back. You can still see where the emblem was but you can always dremel it out if you choose.

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
thanks for showing me this... i needed to find out so i can black out my GTI symbol along with the VW symbol!

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
i just tryed taking off the GTI emblem and could not get that clip off that you have to wiggle back and forth. i was trying for about 30 minutes to get that bastard to pop off and then just said fudge it and gave up. taking the grill off was a sinch tho which got me thinking the emblem was going to be easy too but of course it wasn't. and i didnt know what that torx screwdriver was so i used an allen key which worked fine.

atomoverride

Ruler of Omicron Persei 8
or wiggle it around a little bit without removing the grill and then break it off with no damage to the grill in 2.5 min. =) removed thanks for the pictures its nice knowning whats back there so I dont have to remove the grill to find out.

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
thanks for sharing, but I think is easier to do it without taking everything, simply apply pressure with your fingers and "listo"

Salud

Ricardo

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Thanks for the writeup. Just a word of CAUTION: When removing the clip on the left in the above photo, be very careful. I wiggled it a little bit to the point where I thought it was gonna pop right out. When it finally came off I realized I had broken the plastic piece off. It's only one of the 3 so it will be fine, just be careful. I am removing the badge to paint the letters red, as I am not about to pay $75 for the 20th Ann badge. I'll post pictures even though it has been done already.

Plyngntrffc

FIA GT Newbie
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
i like it w/ it off :), just did it, i as well boroke one of the pieces, oh well, if i want to put it back, ill buy the red one off tmtuning.com or w/e that place is