GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do I Need a battery charger for COBB Tune?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
How sketchy is is actually to do the initial setup and I stallation of a COBB AP and a stage 2 tune without using a battery tender/trickle charger? Is it something you would say go for or should I stay far away from it and find a trickle charger/ hook up to my girlfriends car with jumper cables? While drivi g my battery sits at about 14v. At idle and in auxiliary /when the car isn't running my battery sits at about 12/12.2v. I'd be unplugging my radar detector along with my dash cams and turning off my radio but my fog lights stay on with my drl's so I can't turn those off. I don't have access to a trickle charger either.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You need the charger. You can brick your ECU. With just the key on the fog lights and drl's are on?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
You need the charger. You can brick your ECU. With just the key on the fog lights and drl's are on?
Yeah because I have it set to fogs on with drl from obd11. And would hooking up to my girls car with jumpers achieve the same thing?

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Disable bluetooth completely, turn off radio, set the light switch to off and turn the climate control off. That's even with having the maintainer/trickle charger - just pick up a battery tender Jr at Lowe's, AutoZone, etc and return it after - the entire install process for ECU & TCU took about 40 minutes for me.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
C
Disable bluetooth completely, turn off radio, set the light switch to off and turn the climate control off. That's even with having the maintainer/trickle charger - just pick up a battery tender Jr at Lowe's, AutoZone, etc and return it after - the entire install process for ECU & TCU took about 40 minutes for me.
An I just use jumpers with my girls car? Her car running and my car not running?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah because I have it set to fogs on with drl from obd11. And would hooking up to my girls car with jumpers achieve the same thing?
It should be fine with your girls car with jumpers. And your trickle charger is risky also. Cobb recommends at least a 10-20 amps without the trickle function.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Your car has to be key on engine off.
So my plan will be using jumper cables. My kei on engi e off and her engine running. With jumper cables between our two cars. From what I see you and everyone is saying is that that method would work fine and be safe to do?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S