GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you think the new CarPlay features might make it to the MK8?

Nickand

If VW is smart they will adopt this technology. As Apple has said in the video 79% of prospective car buyers want Carplay support and after iOS16 the number will definitely grow even bigger. I might be a bit overhyped but what Apple has shown was so good that I might consider selling my Golf 8 if VW chooses not to support it !

NomYap

If VW is smart they will adopt this technology. As Apple has said in the video 79% of prospective car buyers want Carplay support and after iOS16 the number will definitely grow even bigger. I might be a bit overhyped but what Apple has shown was so good that I might consider selling my Golf 8 if VW chooses not to support it !
Agreed, they'd be foolish not to adopt this!

glasrt500

I hope VW adopt it too. Looks great. If not, like others, may have to go elsewhere for my next car. CarPlay in its current form was a game changer for me and either way, I couldn’t go back to a car that doesn’t support it.

M|W

I do not believe any manufacturer will adopt this for existing models. The adoption will most likely require extensive modifications to software and hardware architecture.

It will be interesting to see whether any manufacture adopts this vision at all. It looked more like a CarOS than a CarPlay scenario. Perhaps we will se a partial adoption first, for example showing climate controls on the CarPlay interface and letting Siri control them.

Also, VW has not even adopted the current capabilities of CarPlay. Since iOS 13, it has been possible to show the navigation map in the instrument cluster display. It is something VW could easily do, but they have not - probably to protect their own navigation map, for which this feature is the best selling point.

M|W

Danish newspaper Børsen has an article (in Danish, and probably requires a free profile to read) today on the new “all-encompassing“ CarPlay experience that Apple has announced. They interview Thomas Schäfer, from July 2022 the CEO of VW Passenger Cars. He firmly states that VW will not adopt the new CarPlay.

Google translated: “You cannot survive if you only build the body. You have to be part of the game where everything is about software and data-driven features, services and functions. You can't give all that away to another company and then just try to make money off your hardware.”

VW clearly views software as a strategic enabler of future revenue…

M|W

They know that they have messed up big time. They also seem to believe that they can fix it. We will see about that. From a software professional‘s perspective, it’s going to be interesting to follow.