GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Don't Think I Want a Tesla

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
As if right on cue another Tesla sitting in a parking lot bursts into flames and exploded on Sunday according to a Chinese video circulating. Not to be outdone SpaceX had a Crew Dragon capsule failure today at Cape Canaveral.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees Musk and Tesla for what they are.

There are a dozen reasons why I wouldn't want to own a Tesla, but none of them have to do with the car itself (unless we're talking about the model 3, which is just junk).
You are not alone at all. I've come to notice that Musk has a religious following, and religion was never about logic but emotions. He runs his mouth too much and leaves plenty unfinished. Some of his ideas are plain stupid and childish. He's good at getting government subsidies, though. Not a whole lot more.

anotero

Autocross Champion
As if right on cue another Tesla sitting in a parking lot bursts into flames and exploded on Sunday according to a Chinese video circulating. Not to be outdone SpaceX had a Crew Dragon capsule failure today at Cape Canaveral.
I'll make sure not to park my GTI next to Teslas. :)

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
The exploding Tesla took out the Audi next to it and the car on the other side too from the reports. I sure as Hell would not want to be an astronaut on the first few ISS flights of the Crew Dragon... or a paid civilian headed for the Moon or some other place on a Musk managed space vehicle. He had the balls to claim yesterday that Tesla will have a million autonomous robo-taxis running on the streets in 2020. That should strike fear in all commuter and pedestrian's hearts. We'll see if the SEC fines him millions for that statement in the future after the latest fine imposed tomorrow...

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Well apparently negotiations aren't going too well for Tesla/Musk and the SEC as they have today 4-25-19, requested a second extension of the deadline for a settlement until 4-30-19 or the judge will make the determination against Tesla/Musk.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
The exploding Tesla took out the Audi next to it and the car on the other side too from the reports. I sure as Hell would not want to be an astronaut on the first few ISS flights of the Crew Dragon... or a paid civilian headed for the Moon or some other place on a Musk managed space vehicle. He had the balls to claim yesterday that Tesla will have a million autonomous robo-taxis running on the streets in 2020. That should strike fear in all commuter and pedestrian's hearts. We'll see if the SEC fines him millions for that statement in the future after the latest fine imposed tomorrow...
the failure happened during testing. failures for SpaceX is a good thing. they can fix problem(s) before a live crew is on a Crew Dragon capsule, especially this failure was on a previously flown Crew Demo mission.

It was expensive for SpaceX when their 1st stage didn't land properly after many attempts to now being able to land, recover and reuse F9 and FH 1st stages

what happened to the main core for the last FH flight on OCISLY sucked, but they learned from it to prevent that situation again.

test failures are always good to expose flaws in design and manufacturing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Failures are never a good thing unless you are intentionally failing something to see it's maximum safety point. With proper designs these failures should not be happening just like Tesla cars should not be bursting into flames and autopilot should not be causing fatalities... The SpaceX failure was not intended to be a destructive failure it was an operational test.

Last edited:

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Failures are never a good thing unless you are intentionally failing something to see it's maximum safety point. With proper designs these failures should not be happening just like Tesla cars should not be bursting into flames and autopilot should not be causing fatalities... The SpaceX failure was not intended to be a destructive failure it was an operational test.

Proper design is one thing. Implementation through manufacturing is another thing. This was a testing event to qualify the Super Draco boosters in preparation for an Abort demonstration for NASA, as stated earlier, this is on a previously "flown" and recovered capsule. While the Super Draco boosters were not used in the 1st Crew Demo, who knows the impact of the first launch?

This is why you haven't heard much from NASA nor SpaceX, because both are doing their due diligence to investigate this. NASA has their full confidence with SpaceX, according to all of the reports I have seen.

As I said earlier, it was expensive for SpaceX to finally land a 1st stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9FzWPObsWA

With all the crashes of the 1st stage, I'm pretty sure people like you had their doubts about their business model of reusability of the 1st stage.

Which eventually led to the success of the ARABSAT landing all 3 1st stages
https://youtu.be/_N3QbgokEHo

At the same time, I'm sure you heard about the Honda recall of the Odessey, involving the transmission resetting itself while driving and throwing the car into park, is it a design issue or is it a manufacturing issue? How was this not caught in testing before they sold the car to families?

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
I'll pass on anything Musk is associated with as he's proved to be a loose cannon who insists on radical responses to problems not well orchestrated logical solutions. Tesla, SpaceX, Boring and the Solar panel company's demise are proof of that.

Honda's deal probably involves a wear issue that was not experienced in testing, who knows but that certainly isn't the same as cars exploding, autopilot fatalities or space capsule failures.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Saying failures are good is in line with the latest philosophy of "keep trying, it's the effort that matters." That works fine provided two conditions are met: 1). you have a crapload of money to keep throwing into R&D 2). lives are not at stake. Oftentimes you can get away without satisfying the latter if you satisfy the former. However, that is not the proper way of doing engineering.

Mucherco

Yeah, Tesla has problems, etc. but it's one of the best cars in the world and has a pretty nice price. So I think you can buy it - you should. Or, perhaps wait some time but still should buy it. Except you have an electric car or VW :)

anotero

Autocross Champion
Yeah, Tesla has problems, etc. but it's one of the best cars in the world and has a pretty nice price. So I think you can buy it - you should. Or, perhaps wait some time but still should buy it. Except you have an electric car or VW :)

What are you basing that claim on?

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Saying failures are good is in line with the latest philosophy of "keep trying, it's the effort that matters." That works fine provided two conditions are met: 1). you have a crapload of money to keep throwing into R&D 2). lives are not at stake. Oftentimes you can get away without satisfying the latter if you satisfy the former. However, that is not the proper way of doing engineering.

Apparently, NASA is calling this anamoly a blessing in disguise or a "gift".

https://spacenews.com/investigation-into-crew-dragon-incident-continues/

The accident, she (Kathy Lueders, manager of the commercial crew program at NASA) said, was something of a “gift” to the program, since it took place on a test stand, giving them an opportunity to understand what may need to be modified. “We’re learning a lot. Sometimes you learn more from a failure like this,” she said.

“It’s pretty sad not to have that vehicle,” she added. “I was hoping that vehicle would be in a museum one day. But, I think this is a vehicle that continues to serve her purpose to make human spaceflight safer and safer. We will learn from this test, and that learning will be applied to the next vehicle.”

This supports what I said earlier.

the failure happened during testing. failures for SpaceX is a good thing. they can fix problem(s) before a live crew is on a Crew Dragon capsule, especially this failure was on a previously flown Crew Demo mission.

It was expensive for SpaceX when their 1st stage didn't land properly after many attempts to now being able to land, recover and reuse F9 and FH 1st stages

what happened to the main core for the last FH flight on OCISLY sucked, but they learned from it to prevent that situation again.

test failures are always good to expose flaws in design and manufacturing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What is the proper way of doing engineering?