GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG and Launch Control - anyone tried it??

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
Tucked away in the Owner's manual on page 185 are instruction on how to use 'Launch Control':

- switch off TCS
- left foot on brake
- select S or Sport Mode
- right foot on the gas to 3,200 RPM
- left left foot off brake and floor the right foot

Then the fun begins! Anyone tried it yet??

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yes.. used it many times in my MK5

tried it a couple of times in the mk7.. and used it in the autocross event i participated in.. you can see the video in my autocross thread in the photo/video section

the car moves very differently with launch control.. gear change sounds different and gives a more noticeable punch with every shift... you don't necessarily have to floor your right foot you can feather it to control the wheel spin :)

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Need to have decent tyres for Launch control. My Bridgestones spin with the slightest provocation, god know what it would be like if I used launch control on the GTD. Probably just embarrassingly disappear in a cloud of tyre smoke and go nowhere :D

dadu

Ready to race!
I still don't know if this is available for the 1.4 TSI. Not that I would try it! :D

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Good point Dadu - there again there is an option to disable the TCS in the infotainment system so it may be possible. It's just that being a bit of an old fart, I haven't tried it ... ... ... yet

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
god know what it would be like if I used launch control on the GTD. Probably just embarrassingly disappear in a cloud of tyre smoke and go nowhere :D
Surely there would be no wheel spin - is that not what the 'control' bit in 'launch control' is for?

PS - Winter Pack is missing from your signature!

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
Surely there would be no wheel spin - is that not what the 'control' bit in 'launch control' is for?

PS - Winter Pack is missing from your signature!

Your tires will definitely spin using launch control... The revs are controlled where they don't go past 3.xx RPM which will give you a harder launch than starting from 0 RPM ... You can control the wheel spin by feathering the gas pedal. I remember reading a mag back in 07 about the mk5 gti launch control (i think it was motor trend) that everytime they thought the car spun too much it actually recorded a better 0-60 time

Snaptag

Ready to race!
Need to have decent tyres for Launch control. My Bridgestones spin with the slightest provocation, god know what it would be like if I used launch control on the GTD. Probably just embarrassingly disappear in a cloud of tyre smoke and go nowhere :D

Maybe I'll hold off on trying out this option seeing as what tyres cost these days, especially 18" ones. :eek:

dipth

Ready to race!
Can anybody confirm if it's only the GTI and GTD versions that have Launch Control or if it's also in the 1.4 TSi version?

DW58

Go Kart Champion
To be honest I'm not sure, but I suspect the 1.4-engined DSG cars probably don't but I guess only trying will tell and I don't feel so inclined as the Sport-mode take-off is plenty quick enough for my needs.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Not a concern for the wealthy boy-racer fraternity.