GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG opinions?

Mk8driver

I have the Golf 8 1.5 eTSI 150ps and find the DSG both a pleasure at times and frustrating in equal measures.

Irritations so far:

Gear changes aren’t always as silky smooth as I would’ve expected. I think it improves when it’s warmed up. It seems to slightly rev between some gear changes, like from 2nd to 3rd - is this to smooth it out? I thought dsg should feel snappy and instant.

Braking
It is hard to brake smoothly - it can be difficult to predict how much engine braking will be applied. You start off braking gently, then at a certain point the clutch is released and it lurches at which point I have to brake hard with the pedal. It is certainly not always smooth and progressive.

Hills
It is very keen to change down on hills, even when it doesn’t in my view feel necessary, just because it has detected an incline. Coming down hill, if you come off the accelerator the speed starts to build so you touch the brake lightly and the engine revs will soar to initiate engine braking which doesn’t feel great when the engine is cold. I’m having to switch to manual mode which doesn’t feel intuitive.

Overall I feel like I’m constantly trying to guess what the computer is going to decide to do next and miss the feeling of being fully in control with a manual.

interestingly, courtesy cars I’ve driven in the past with DSG (mk 7.5 golf diesel and Tiguan) have been a lot easier to just drive and forget about.

Just wondering what other people’s thoughts/experiences are on the DSG in the mk8?

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
On our 1.5 eTSI, I find the DSG smooth and seamless. The only way to know that it’s changed gears is via a change in the rev counter.

However, I do agree with your second point about braking (although I’m not sure it‘s engine braking). It happens in town driving, when cruise control is off and you approach a junction, roundabout or vehicle stopped ahead. As you take your foot off the accelerator, regenerative braking kicks in to slow you down. But this slowing effect stops as you get near the junction / vehicle and you then have to press the brake. This produces the inconsistency that you mention. I’ve got used to it.

I also agree that it’s very keen to use engine braking when going downhill.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I too find the gear changes so smooth they are not noticed at all,Isn't the braking on hills the eco coasting function keeping you at a constant speed? I've noticed on a hill around the corner on my way to work that if i'm at 30 mph i can take my foot off the accelerator and if i'm lucky to get through the 2 sets of lights it will continue coasting all the way at 28-31 mph it never goes over that.