GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dsg pop (fart)

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
A combination of fast up shifting and a sporty exhaust perhaps?

My brother's Audi A1 1.4 also pops mildly.

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
I read somewhere that it was the turbo overrun and was added by the VW engineers during testing as a joke. The bosses liked it and so it stayed. There's a video on YouTube somewhere.

It's addictive, I can tell you that...

MisterB

Ready to race!
I read somewhere that it was the turbo overrun and was added by the VW engineers during testing as a joke. The bosses liked it and so it stayed.

Yup, that existed since the MK5 GTI and I too read that it was just the engineers having a bit of fun.

Having said that, I can hear a faint burble (with the stereo off...) from my humble 1.4Tsi 122 with the DSG in S mode and a heavy right foot.

AMPJ8

Passed Driver's Ed
Guess that is more of an urban legend. The car switches off ignition for a split of a second! In between gear changes! That when it comes back produces the pop with the fast changes.

Same behavior with quick shifters on modern bikes!

GoSlow75

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know what causes it. Never noticed it until I changed the exhaust system. I can also hear a similar sound when I release the throttle after heavy acceleration. But as "GTI-7-Performance" wrote: "It's addictive" :)

Rt88

From what I've read it's only the GTIs and Rs that make the sound in stock format which supports the theory it's a deliberate feature

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
From what I've read it's only the GTIs and Rs that make the sound in stock format which supports the theory it's a deliberate feature

I can’t hear any farting from our mk7 TSI 122 DSG7 (tested it 2 hours ago). It changes gear slower on full throttle than the GTI 6 does.

For sure I can hear it on my GTI 6 DSG6, very nice :D!

/Peter

GoSlow75

Passed Driver's Ed
Then it must be like "KindiGTI" wrote; "A combination of fast up shifting and a sporty exhaust perhaps?"
Certainly it has to do with the flow capacity of the exhaust system. Most likely there is better flow capacity in the GTI and R exhausts. And as I wrote earlier I didn't hear this on my TSI 140 until I mounted a sport exhaust system.

AMPJ8

Passed Driver's Ed
Browse YouTube for vids of the gti and you will hear this from takes on exterior. On the interior these are less noticeable due to the cabin being better isolated.

Again it is the ignition being cut for gear changes to engage!

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Guess that is more of an urban legend. The car switches off ignition for a split of a second! In between gear changes! That when it comes back produces the pop with the fast changes.

Same behavior with quick shifters on modern bikes!

The comparison with quick shifters on modern bikes is relevant in this case :)!

/Peter

Sa-Gti2

Passed Driver's Ed
Thought it was to do with the excess fuel being burnt which is caused when ignition is cut during the up shift?