GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG transmission?

Reflex579

Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
What transmission does my car have? I have a 2015 golf TSI 1.8L with an IS12 turbo and an automatic transmission.

Ive read in some forums that the TSI doesn’t come with the DSG transmission but in others they say it does. Can anyone clarify?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Does the shifter say "DSG"?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know the model number but it's most likely a torque convertor transmission.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
09G automatic (torque converter)

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Yep, the 09G is a regular torque converter automatic that dates back to ~2003... VW helped design it with Aisin and it's clunky like a DSG sometimes because it literally uses a little less fluid for better efficiency (which takes away internal "shock absorption") but it does coast/downshift/speed control better than most TC AT's. It also holds plenty of power, people will put an IS38 on their Golf 1.8 and the stock trans does fine with it. That said, I really wish their was a TCU tune available for it as regular D it wants to keep the RPM's too low, so low that it is bogging the car down but then is a little too aggressive for daily driving just leaving it in Sport mode. If it literally had just 150-200 RPM higher for it's minimum running RPM in D it would be far superior as a daily.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Yep, the 09G is a regular torque converter automatic that dates back to ~2003... VW helped design it with Aisin and it's clunky like a DSG sometimes because it literally uses a little less fluid for better efficiency (which takes away internal "shock absorption") but it does coast/downshift/speed control better than most TC AT's. It also holds plenty of power, people will put an IS38 on their Golf 1.8 and the stock trans does fine with it. That said, I really wish their was a TCU tune available for it as regular D it wants to keep the RPM's too low, so low that it is bogging the car down but then is a little too aggressive for daily driving just leaving it in Sport mode. If it literally had just 150-200 RPM higher for it's minimum running RPM in D it would be far superior as a daily.
Just drive in sport all of the time and it will learn your driving style. Then it’s not too aggressive at all. Just right actually

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
Just drive in sport all of the time and it will learn your driving style. Then it’s not too aggressive at all. Just right actually
After my battery drained during a freezing spell in Feb, I could tell the ECU/TCU reset, heck the entire system seemed to reboot and my car got a little quicker after PO was clearly a non-enthusiast.. but I've tried to let it learn in both D and S and neither got to where I want them. In Sport it still hangs on to RPM's far too long so that's how I determined that just a bit higher minimum running RPM in D was what I'd be happy with. Otherwise in D it downshifts quite quickly for me now but Sport always hangs way up around 3k when I want it to just shift. I've tried manually triggering it when I want it to shift but it still just hangs up there by default. So not too aggressive, it still short shifts from 1-2 pretty early in S, I could never resolve the rev hang with adaptation.

Reflex579

Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
Is the 09G paddle shifter compatible? I heard from one guy on another forum that he has a 2017 sportwagon with paddle shifters and no DSG. I know if I did have a DSG I can just replace my steering wheel with one that has paddle shifters and its completely plug and play.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

I don’t believe this. Your experience is your experience but in mine, no automatic transmission has ever “adapted” to my driving style. That’s snake oil.