GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electric Hot Hatch

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Give me a 300hp EV mk8 GTI, 300 mile range, 15 min charge time.

I have no idea when they try so hard with EV car designs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Give me a 300hp EV mk8 GTI, 300 mile range, 15 min charge time.

I have no idea when they try so hard with EV car designs.
I doubt there will ever be batteries that charge that fast. I don't know about car battery technology but the fast charging batteries in smartphones actually causes the batteries to degrade faster.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I doubt there will ever be batteries that charge that fast. I don't know about car battery technology but the fast charging batteries in smartphones actually causes the batteries to degrade faster.

Maybe some type of capacitor? I can dream, man.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Maybe some type of capacitor? I can dream, man.
Who knows. They will figure out some battery technology that will accomplish that without degrading the lifespan of the batteries. They will pretty much have to because your problem with charging times is the biggest obstacle to acceptance. I do think that it is being rushed too much without the planning for the infrastructure capacity to handle the demand. I still think that hydrogen fuel cell cars was a better solution. Of course that would require hydrogen fuel stations as convenient as gas stations are.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
yes hydrogen would be a good alternative.

All along though, if we care about greenhouse gasses (?), a solution has been modeled with natural gas. Powerplants and fleet vehicles. School buses, UPS trucks and other. Before Tesla, arguably the car with smallest carbon footprint was the nat gas civic.

It wouldn't have been hard to roll out nat gas IC engine cars. Home distribution was modeled with the civic and many people have nat gas at home. Nat gat powerplants aren't going away in my lifetime and probably not yours.

Unfortunately, in politics, perfection is the enemy of the good thus some will press for perfection at huge cost.

Sportbikemike

Go Kart Newbie
If anyone here listened to the Joe Rogan interview with Musk from years ago he made valid points. Large scale use of EVs aren't practical. You'll never see an electric aircraft or ship because the size of the batteries to produce power would be so large that you would never be able built a craft that can sustain flight or a ship that can stay afloat.
But I do know that the powers that control the world don't want EVs to happen. You can't tax something that's free. They can't control the supply of the sun or fight wars over its possession.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
yes hydrogen would be a good alternative.

All along though, if we care about greenhouse gasses (?), a solution has been modeled with natural gas. Powerplants and fleet vehicles. School buses, UPS trucks and other. Before Tesla, arguably the car with smallest carbon footprint was the nat gas civic.

It wouldn't have been hard to roll out nat gas IC engine cars. Home distribution was modeled with the civic and many people have nat gas at home. Nat gat powerplants aren't going away in my lifetime and probably not yours.

Unfortunately, in politics, perfection is the enemy of the good thus some will press for perfection at huge cost.

The downside is it's a bomb in your car. I've seen what a hydrogen explosion from an O2 generator looks like.

Might be easier to solve the boom issue than the charging issue though. I'm no engineer.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If anyone here listened to the Joe Rogan interview with Musk from years ago he made valid points. Large scale use of EVs aren't practical. You'll never see an electric aircraft or ship because the size of the batteries to produce power would be so large that you would never be able built a craft that can sustain flight or a ship that can stay afloat.
But I do know that the powers that control the world don't want EVs to happen. You can't tax something that's free. They can't control the supply of the sun or fight wars over its possession.

It's crazy that residential solar isn't on every roof in sunny areas, but agree, at least for now, EV's won't replace IC without a huge technological leap.

But as a second fun car, this thing should be fun.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Who knows. They will figure out some battery technology that will accomplish that without degrading the lifespan of the batteries. They will pretty much have to because your problem with charging times is the biggest obstacle to acceptance. I do think that it is being rushed too much without the planning for the infrastructure capacity to handle the demand. I still think that hydrogen fuel cell cars was a better solution. Of course that would require hydrogen fuel stations as convenient as gas stations are.
Never see an electric airplane?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...aker-to-further-its-climate-goals/ar-BB1gRr9a

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
It's crazy that residential solar isn't on every roof in sunny areas, but agree, at least for now, EV's won't replace IC without a huge technological leap.

But as a second fun car, this thing should be fun.
The biggest obstacle to more solar roof panels remains the initial investment. A system large enough to be off the electric grid will cost at least $30 K and even if you stay in that house for most of your life you'll be lucky to recover the investment.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The biggest obstacle to more solar roof panels remains the initial investment. A system large enough to be off the electric grid will cost at least $30 K and even if you stay in that house for most of your life you'll be lucky to recover the investment.

I think you're right 10 years ago. Not so sure you're right dl today. And they're only going to go down in price.

And the pay back period in AZ or FL is going to be much faster than MN.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/...n average residential,to pay for solar panels.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
I think you're right 10 years ago. Not so sure you're right dl today. And they're only going to go down in price.

And the pay back period in AZ or FL is going to be much faster than MN.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/solar-panel-cost#:~:text=With installation, an average residential,to pay for solar panels.
There's also the lifespan of the solar panels to consider. The newer ones are guaranteed for 25 years with a degradation of 15 % over that lifespan. Solar when purchased with a new house is the best way to go.
Since the average person doesn't stay in the same house it's a big investment that won't reach payback for years when purchased as a $30K add on. In other words it you're not going to stay in that house for 25 years you won't get your investment back.