GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electric Mini-quad build for m(e)y son

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
when it's ready a picture of you with the kid in a baby seat (either real or redneck style) would be fun
Oh yeah and I need to build the car seat mount XD

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Welp shes riding. Needs a couple modifications. This was my first time building something like this so it was good I got this build under my belt before I get heavy into my e30 build. I'm an idiot and mounted the motor onto a spot on the chassis, while the rear axle is obviously on the "subframe(?)", so every bump I hit the chain pops off. Going to re-mount the motor tonight where its supposed to go (and where I originally had it)

I have some HDPE sheets coming in to make body panels and chain covers to finish it up and make it safe

The motor has the ability to be re-wired to run in reverse, but something doesn't work right when its in reverse. Its not smooth, or fast, or quiet. I've tried every combination of phase wire to get it running counter clockwise but none of them work correctly. There is a reverse switch on the controller so I have the motor turning in clockwise rotation which would make the atv go backwards when the reverse switch is off. For now I just have the motor wired for clockwise rotation and the reverse switch with a jumper wire so it is always in "low speed reverse". GPS on my phone put me at a top speed of about 7-8 mph in "fake-reverse" (which is actually forward for the bike). When I flip the rear axle around tonight and get the motor running correct direction I calculated out about 25 mph top speed realistically, theoretically should top out about 29 mph. There is a 3 speed switch hidden under the seat to slow it down some, but it isn't much

Heres a video of my wife taking it for a test drive. Sorry for vertical, just took a quick snapchat last night
https://youtube.com/shorts/htyHqoTDVuQ

This little thing is so much fun to ride at 6 mph, i can't even imagine what it will be like on full rip. It wants to break the tires loose now so I think it could be a pretty cool drift quad

Attachments

• Resized_20220921_194702(1).jpeg
    Resized_20220921_194702(1).jpeg
    871.8 KB · Views: 87

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I finished it up over the weekend for the most part. still waiting on the brake light and headlight to arrive but once they do I'll get those on and it will be finished.

I had to move the motor mount and cut off the old one because it was hitting the frame when the suspension compressed. Once I did that, then the motor controller started to hit the strut so I cut and re-weld the mount for that slightly higher. Now everything is clearanced and ready to rip.

The thing SCOOTS. Its not super fast to where its scary but I haven't found the top speed yet. Quick GPS on google maps doing circles in my backyard I was able to hit about 20 mph on the top speed. I made a switch panel/center console type cover out of a sheet of ABS plastic I cut and melted using a heat gun and a 2x4 as a mold. Now has functioning reverse switch and will have headlights and taillights once they get here tomorrow. I tried to use a toggle switch for the "ignition" but since I am bypassing the controller-supplied key lock to do so, the battery voltage indicator on the throttle no longer lights up but the motor will run. The circuit for the light must be tied into the circuit of the key so I plan on connecting the toggle switch to the throttle key lock in series, printing a small nub to go on the key and cutting the bulky handle off of it. I'll keep the key in the on position and just use the switch to cycle power.

Finishing touches are going to be finishing up the footrests and wheel guards. Drove it around when the ground was wet yesterday and it wasnt the best haha Pictures and video to follow

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
https://youtube.com/shorts/fDM7AA85KA0?feature=share

Slowest of the 3 speeds. Definitely need to wire a potentiometer in line with the throttle signal to limit the speed some more. 20 mph down the street before it started to get unstable. I think it has about 5 more mph in it if I can get it stable. I've got a few years before I need to slow it down so for now I'll enjoy it fast!

Attachments

• 20220927_181707.jpg
    20220927_181707.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
  • 20220927_181715.jpg
    20220927_181715.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
  • 20220927_181727.jpg
    20220927_181727.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
  • 20220927_181734.jpg
    20220927_181734.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 83

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
https://youtube.com/shorts/fDM7AA85KA0?feature=share

Slowest of the 3 speeds. Definitely need to wire a potentiometer in line with the throttle signal to limit the speed some more. 20 mph down the street before it started to get unstable. I think it has about 5 more mph in it if I can get it stable. I've got a few years before I need to slow it down so for now I'll enjoy it fast!
DOPE! Loved the skid at the end of the vid, lol

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
DOPE! Loved the skid at the end of the vid, lol
thanks! its really good at skidding! now its got me thinking of getting some drift wheels for it lol

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Took it around the neighborhood while my wife, kid, and dog went for a walk for a full stress test run. This is the taco bell run equivalent of a car build lol. Turns out its my road thats unstable, not the quad! i got it up to its top speed of 23 mph on a flat road. After the test run I found some things that need improved upon - motor mount needs reinforced, chain needs a link removed and re-tensioned, possible re-make of the chain tensioner pulley. Also my reverse switch broke from not being protected on the back side. one of the terminals was hitting against the frame and ended up breaking off the switch so I'll need to replace that. also need to get a potentiometer wired into the controller signal so I can limit the top speed for when my nephew or neighbor kids want to ride it

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Took it around the neighborhood while my wife, kid, and dog went for a walk for a full stress test run. This is the taco bell run equivalent of a car build lol. Turns out its my road thats unstable, not the quad! i got it up to its top speed of 23 mph on a flat road. After the test run I found some things that need improved upon - motor mount needs reinforced, chain needs a link removed and re-tensioned, possible re-make of the chain tensioner pulley. Also my reverse switch broke from not being protected on the back side. one of the terminals was hitting against the frame and ended up breaking off the switch so I'll need to replace that. also need to get a potentiometer wired into the controller signal so I can limit the top speed for when my nephew or neighbor kids want to ride it
Goes like ship?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Goes like ship?
lol

just a recurring joke on youtube car communities that some people take their project car for its maiden voyage to taco bell

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I was never a fan of those plastic roller tensioners. You could retrofit an idler sprocket or swap it for a universal bolt-on system. Love your project, I was working on retrofitting an electric motor to an old reel mower, but ended up buying a new one instead.
Thanks for the tip, I like that idea. Making a sprocket wasnt too hard but I found some on amazon. Jeff Bezos has everything. As far as the build, ironically I was looking for riding mowers on facebook and the frame for this quad came up instead. I guess it was fate haha. If you ever do decide to do one of these retrofits, the kits are pretty easy to build. Battery is the most expensive part at like 800 bucks...

I also found some other idler pulleys with spring tensioners but I decided to stick with the roller style for now until it doesnt work anymore. I took a link out of the chain and re-tensioned everything, now its nice and tight. (until the plastic roller starts to wear out)

All thats really left to do is clean up the wiring and build the body panels. I'll knock those out as time allows

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the tip, I like that idea. Making a sprocket wasnt too hard but I found some on amazon. Jeff Bezos has everything. As far as the build, ironically I was looking for riding mowers on facebook and the frame for this quad came up instead. I guess it was fate haha. If you ever do decide to do one of these retrofits, the kits are pretty easy to build. Battery is the most expensive part at like 800 bucks...

I also found some other idler pulleys with spring tensioners but I decided to stick with the roller style for now until it doesnt work anymore. I took a link out of the chain and re-tensioned everything, now its nice and tight. (until the plastic roller starts to wear out)

All thats really left to do is clean up the wiring and build the body panels. I'll knock those out as time allows
Cool, I'm a little lucky because of the size of the motor needed when it comes to a battery. A Dewalt 6ah will be plenty for what I need and will allow me to do the entire house in one charge.

I had a few links for websites that sell sprockets, but somehow either deleted the folder or it was in a different computer. There are dedicated sites that will have anything in any size imaginable.