GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emergency SOS Error

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys,

Having an issue with this Emergency SOS error, it started randomly doing this a week after getting my second Mk8 etsi ! the middle speaker crackles 2 twice then I get "Emergency SOS error Please contact the workshop" the only way to clear this is too leave the car off for 10 mins and it's normally gone.

anyone else suffering from this ? and if so was there a fix?

Running software 1666

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I thought I read on this forum that software 1666 is a bit naff and been replayed with 1668. I am on 1664 so if I had a update it would be to 1668. I currently don’t have too many issues so on the basis that ‘if it ain’t bust, don’t fix it’ I don’t think I will rush to have an update.

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
I had 1668 on my previous car and it seemed to work ok. I did ask them to install this before collecting but as normal they didn’t ! Unless dealership

Sniffer

Does the colour of the light on the SOS Unit, above the rear view mirror, change from green to red when you get the error message? If so, you will probably need the SOS module replaced.

VW had to replace all of these SOS units on the first batch of Golfs manufactured prior to June 2020. Those manufactured after that date are supposed to have had the updated version fitted and work okay, although some still produce faults. My first Mk8 GTI was the same.

The Software versions quoted above only relate to the Infotainment System, and I don't think that it really matters which version you have installed, and that it's unrelated issue.

See link:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...starts-golf-deliveries-software-problem-fixed

Last edited:

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
Does the colour of the light on the SOS Unit, above the rear view mirror, change from green to red when you get the error message? If so, you will probably need the SOS module replaced.

VW had to replace all of these SOS units on the first batch of Golfs manufactured prior to June 2020. Those manufactured after that date are supposed to have had the updated version fitted and work okay, although some still produce faults. My first Mk8 GTI was the same.

The Software versions quoted above only relate to the Infotainment System, and I don't think that it really matters which version you have installed, and that it's unrelated issue.

See link:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...starts-golf-deliveries-software-problem-fixed
Thanks for the info bud, the green light goes off and the light when you pop open to reveal the button is red but come to think it’s red even when the green light is on and the system is working.

it’s just one thing after another, my golf was built week 42 so should have been fine.

Sniffer

Thanks for the info bud, the green light goes off and the light when you pop open to reveal the button is red but come to think it’s red even when the green light is on and the system is working.

it’s just one thing after another, my golf was built week 42 so should have been fine.
Take a picture of the red light and show it to your dealer, if it's unlikely to show when you take it in. If it's red, it's not working properly and needs replaced immediately.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Had this on my first Mk8 in Jun 2020, rejected and replaced in December as they could not fix. Same on the 2nd one, and they still cannot resolve. Was at the dealer again this week. Currently on 1668. Always occurs in the same places.

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
Take a picture of the red light and show it to your dealer, if it's unlikely to show when you take it in. If it's red, it's not working properly and needs replaced immediately.
7663D421-3735-488D-B2FE-FDAA6CCB88AC.jpeg

So it shouldn’t be like this

Attachments

• 268165CE-CC1B-48BB-9EAA-D63499AA6FAE.jpeg
    268165CE-CC1B-48BB-9EAA-D63499AA6FAE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,683

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the SOS button light is always on. It's the status light in front of it which shows status:

"Indicator lamp for the Emergency Call Service

There is an indicator lamp in the control. Depending on the operational status of the emergency call system in the vehicle, the indicator lamp lights up in different colours and light sequences:
  • Indicator lamp does not light up: emergency call is not available.
  • Indicator lamp flashes red for about 20 seconds after the ignition has been switched on: emergency call is deactivated.
  • Indicator lamp lights up red continuously: system error. Emergency call is restricted or not available.
  • Indicator lamp lights up green: emergency call is available, system is ready for operation in the vehicle.
  • Indicator lamp flashes green: emergency call is active.
The following conditions may limit or prevent the execution of a manual or automatic emergency call:
  • Your current emergency call location is in an area with no or insufficient mobile communications and GPS reception.
  • No 2G/3G mobile communications network of telecommunication providers is available in areas with sufficient mobile communications and GPS reception.
  • The emergency call system is not available in some countries.
  • The public emergency call centre is technically not able to receive emergency call data.
  • The components in the vehicle required for the manual or automatic emergency call are damaged or do not have sufficient electrical power.
  • The ignition of the vehicle is not switched on."

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi Guys,

Having an issue with this Emergency SOS error, it started randomly doing this a week after getting my second Mk8 etsi ! the middle speaker crackles 2 twice then I get "Emergency SOS error Please contact the workshop" the only way to clear this is too leave the car off for 10 mins and it's normally gone.

anyone else suffering from this ? and if so was there a fix?

Running software 1666
I’ve seen this issue reported by members on a Seat forum in relation to the current Ibiza and Leon models.

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/ecall-fault.464648/

Post #4 in this discussion thread; https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/th...-what-is-this-light-mean.465185/#post-4966672

The fix may be a new SOS/Emergency control module.

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
Let’s face it the software they are using is garbage, I don’t know why they haven’t just re wrote the software from scratch for the car because these updates just seem to either start new problems or just do nothing.

my dad has a X4 M competition with a similar system and has no issues.

I’ve seen problems with VW, Seat, Audi. Wonder if the Bentley drivers have the same issue or Lamborghini and Porsche 😂

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the SOS unit replaced in both of mine, and still occurring....

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
So there’s a software update 1668 which I had on my previous car. The master technician said that the SOS works off the Esim which has its own signal and VW don’t have amazing coverage in the UK atm so when the SOS error comes up the car has lost signal, he also said things like CarX2 and other technology isn’t actually working every where in the UK at the moment. I don’t know how true this all is but it makes more sense than what they have said before, 1668 should smooth out issues but it won’t fix it.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Am taking the car in again as VW have now asked the dealer to do some wiring checks for the control modules.

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
mine is going in on Wednesday, I was greeted this morning with a 12v batter error please tow to the dealer along with the engine cutting out and 3 other errors. how these cars are road worthy god only knows !!!!