GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC Light

Yellokilo

Passed Driver's Ed
So this happened today.

2016 Golf R with 9000kms. No tune. 6MT. (Mods: Downpipe, Intake, Remus Responder set to Race)
Cold day. Spirited driving.

This happened after almost redlining 4th gear for highway onramp. Immediately went into limp mode for the rest of the way home. No boost whatsoever.

Turned car off for an hour.
Turned the car back on: all lights are gone. Changed Remus Responder to Sport+2. Everything is back to normal.

Weird?...

cooljoe

Passed Driver's Ed
I've gotten this light before. The engine goes into limp mode afterwards and it usually goes off when you restart the car. For me, it was that the boost pressure got too high in one cylinder. If you have an obd2 reader or the vagcom, you should be able to check and see why it came on.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I've gotten this light before. The engine goes into limp mode afterwards and it usually goes off when you restart the car. For me, it was that the boost pressure got too high in one cylinder. If you have an obd2 reader or the vagcom, you should be able to check and see why it came on.

What caused that? And I didn't know the car was capable of measuring boost pressure in an individual cylinder. Where are those measuring values found in VCDS?

cooljoe

Passed Driver's Ed
What caused that? And I didn't know the car was capable of measuring boost pressure in an individual cylinder. Where are those measuring values found in VCDS?

I'm not sure in VCS, it just listed an obd2 code saying boost pressure too high and the cylinder bank (I think it was 1 or 3). When I took it into the dealership, they couldn't repro so they just swapped the coils on 1 with 3 and the thought was that if I see it again, on the other cylinder, it's an issue with the coils. Otherwise, it's an issue with the cylinder.

Yellokilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Update:

2 codes came up when scanning.
Underperforming cat and cylinder misfire (Engine pulling back timing to protect itself as was explained to me)
Codes were cleared. And ever since then, no problems arose.
Last weekend in normal highway cruising at 120kph, CEL came on and stayed on this time. No boost was lost. Car was performing normally.
Scan and got another underperforming cat code.
I decided to get Eurodyne stage 2 91 octane tune and an O2 spacer.
Hopefully, no more lights for awhile!

bebersol

Ready to race!
So this happened today.

2016 Golf R with 9000kms. No tune. 6MT. (Mods: Downpipe, Intake, Remus Responder set to Race)
Cold day. Spirited driving.

This happened after almost redlining 4th gear for highway onramp. Immediately went into limp mode for the rest of the way home. No boost whatsoever.

Turned car off for an hour.
Turned the car back on: all lights are gone. Changed Remus Responder to Sport+2. Everything is back to normal.

Weird?...

Your display has oil temp! Wish my MK6 did, that's when you know when your car is warmed up....

Yellokilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Update.
After 800km on ED stage 2 (91oct), CEL came back on and stayed on. VCDS scan shows all 4 cylinders misfiring.
Car was returned back to stock tune for a week. No lights.
Decided today to go to ED stage 2 v.2 (93oct) with Remus Responder set to OFF.
Will report back.

KLEEMANN1

Passed Driver's Ed
In Mercedes Benz land, the EPC light will come on when the ECU looses connectivity with the throttle. The throttle itself can develop dead spots in the sweep of the push/pull motor or the throttle pedal (potentiometer) can go bad.

Since this is a new car, I don't suspect either one of those OE items, but would be very suspicious of the Remus device. All those things do is fake a higher pedal movement signal, so you may as well just push the pedal farther yourself.

Setting it to zero will not serve the experiment, you must remove it entirely to eliminate it as a cause for the fault. Erroneous or errant (implausible) throttle input signal can easily cause a multiple misfire.