GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exit warning assist on newer Golf 8?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Hi looking at the online manual updated 11/20 i found that the latest models have the exit warning assist when side-assist is installed. Can anyone that has a Golf 8 with side-assist from build week 48 and later confirm.
Check in the parking assist settings...
BE422AFF-D43A-4296-B64F-33C3C71DD3F8.jpeg
0E52D768-CF85-421C-AD7C-5020E6F71B50.jpeg
825376AC-43B3-49C4-8AD9-BEA4C96921D8.jpeg

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
If the Golf was manufactured by Tesla this function would be added in a overnight update. Is it possible that VW would do the same (albeit at the dealer)?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I dont see that happening ... could be wrong. They updated the front radar, park assist control unit, side assist unit as well as the infotainment so it could be that this exit warning only works with the newer sise assist radars...

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I would have thought VW would have made the hardware future proof bearing in mind when the Mk8 was launched they had issues and presumably still perfecting the software. Even my DJI drone gets useful software updates even though it‘s a model that has been replaced by a newer version.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I am trying to see if its possible just with some coding so i am waiting for someone with obd11 or vcds and a 48 or later build and side assist...
Could be possible that VW adds this option in their shop as i heard they will be updating it with extra stuff...

tomocernec

Hi looking at the online manual updated 11/20 i found that the latest models have the exit warning assist when side-assist is installed. Can anyone that has a Golf 8 with side-assist from build week 48 and later confirm.
Check in the parking assist settings...
View attachment 201332View attachment 201333View attachment 201334
Hi Massimo
Where did you find online manual updated 11/20 (we have 07/20 on userguide.volkswagen.de - slovenia ect)
I have Golf 8 with side-assist from build week 36 , NO exit warning system

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
You need a vin number of a Golf 8 built in Dicember..
I know that the Discovery media coming with build week 48 have Android Auto Wireless Working ( At least in Germany and Italy)
The infotaintment device number has to be an 5H0035820D which have software 1788

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Maturedriver we have the 816B so we wont get 1788 which is reserved for the 816/820D
The latest for our model is 1668.
What difference is there between 816B and 820D both Discovery Media :
1 - Android auto wireless
2 - Maps displayed on either Infotainment or AID.
So far...
And i think that these 2 functions will not be added to the 816B

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Discover Pro gets maps displayed on both displays. The Discovery media with 820D get maps displayed on either the AID or infotainment. The option to view on the AID is in the navigation screen settings.
The 816B Discovery Media cannot view the maps in the AID display.

Not all countries have the 816B there is also 816C but they are the same.
From build week 48 the Golf infotainment unit is upgraded with the following:

The 820D (Discovery Media) replaces the 816B (Media)
The 816D (Discovery Pro) replaces the 816B (Pro)

Meanwhile the same goes for the 820E (Discovery Media) that replaces the 816C (Media)
The 816E (Discovery Pro) replaces the 816C (Pro).

This is where the option to view the maps on the AID is on the 820D Discovery media:
8C6CEEC7-548D-4F15-86BC-7A0EA4E0E5A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Massimo you are correct, I have 816B. It’s interesting that VW have added maps on the dash with the latest Discovery Media where with our cars it could only be available with the very expensive Discovery Pro. Bit of a shame that we missed out since that’s really the only thing from the Pro that I would appreciate.
Many thanks for the research you do. Your knowledge is far superior to most VW dealers.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks MatureDriver. One thing i am worried is that in some countries they might decide to keep the maps and android auto wireless disabled even with the newer 820D units.
Anyone that has the 820D / 1788 let us know😉.
In Italy and Germany these are working.
Edit: Also working in France.

Last edited:

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Ok, update on the exit warning system: It is only available for Golf 8 built from week 48 and with side assist installed ( Infotainment Version 816D / 820D 1788).
But with Vag Italy it has been coded to an earlier built Golf 8.;)