Family members first car advice.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Ok, so some info on the car. New parts at 107k miles include the following

Brakes (pads and rotors )
Water pump and t housing
Tires
Plugs and coils

Is this the motor that randomly pukes out the timing belt/chain?

He has loved my VWs and is wanting to get in brand, but parents dont want a gti or R for obvious reasons.
Just curious as to why his parents wont let him get a GTI but an Audi with the same engine/hp is ok?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Where are you finding these 2k cars.

Cheapest decent car i could find was a 200k mile manual Scion XD for $3500.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
200k Scion XD--------->😵
Hey. It runs. Good clutch. Working ac. Power windows. Aux in. Had to change the speakers and tires.

Just needed a beater for when the VW is in the shop. Like someone said, believe it was gtifan99, when you track your car, the whole thing is a consumable.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Hey. It runs. Good clutch. Working ac. Power windows. Aux in. Had to change the speakers and tires.

Just needed a beater for when the VW is in the shop. Like someone said, believe it was gtifan99, when you track your car, the whole thing is a consumable.
I just wanted to make the XD smiley joke, don't mind me

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Oh hell no. Bad choice. These cars are very expensive to maintain and you are considering one that is likely gong to need thousand of dollars put back into it. So many points of possible failure at that mileage. Many of the repairs will cost more than the price of the car.

Everyone is telling you Honda or Toyota and they are absolutely right. Those cars are so much cheaper to repair, much more reliable especially at higher mileage. An Audi at that age and mileage is going to be a rolling money pit. I love these cars but they do not make a good car for your nephew that is struggling to pay for a 2,000 dollar car and needs reliable transportation that will get him where he needs to go without spending much money beyond gass and oil.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Ok, so some info on the car. New parts at 107k miles include the following

Brakes (pads and rotors )
Water pump and t housing
Tires
Plugs and coils

Is this the motor that randomly pukes out the timing belt/chain?

He has loved my VWs and is wanting to get in brand, but parents dont want a gti or R for obvious reasons.
Well this car is essentially a GTI in terms of power, suspension and brakes but not trans.
And yes these motors at that mileage do need timing belt replaced or it can destroy the motor if belt breaks. It is not a random thing, it will happen if not replaced. It would be worth asking the previous owner if that was addressed as it is a significant expense.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Ok I'll address a couple things as a former 2006 A4 owner.
At that mileage, it should have timing BELT (yet belt, not chain) done already. If not, it WILL need it.
Cam followers ARE an issue on this one. But it is a pretty easy check/fix for someone who is slightly mechanically inclined.
Suspension components can be expensive (bushings for upper and lower control arms for example).
I only had mine from 2009-2011. But aside from a blown diverter valve and destroying an axle from being too low, the car was fine.
I got it when it had 50k miles and traded it in for a MK6 GTI at 80,000 miles because I suspected that the CVT tranny was starting to go.
But the car was APR stage 2 and I didn't baby it. Pretty much anything that went wrong with that car was because of me lol.
Check out the B7 forum on Audizine.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I had an A4 if that generation. Solid car but the cost of upkeep was what prevented me from keeping long term.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
So to Close this out, we passed on the car. After talking more with the owner it became real apparent he was lying about alot of things and we wasn't going down that rabbit hole. So the hunt continues. Thanks everyone for the input !!!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My 2001 A4 Avant broke down monthly, and that was a new car. No way in hell I'd buy one used.