GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fcuking Potholes!!

RoidRage

Ready to race!
Ate one not too long ago. Went in for alignment, tech told me control arm is bent.

Lost a tire, control arm, bushings and a rim.

This winter has been hell on earth!

How do you guys avoid potholes? Tips and suggestions would be amazing. Even had to invest in HID fogs to attempt to mitigate the potential risks of this happening again.

JhnR

Banned
I usually avoid it by going around.

CRAIG_01

Ready to race!
Had to replace two tires within two weeks because of potholes on the 401 and 403. This winter has been absolutely brutal.

RoidRage

Ready to race!
I usually avoid it by going around.

You don't say? I'll be sure to try that next time. Can't imagine someone from CA dealing with the stuff we get here.

JhnR

Banned
Yeah don't think we have it THAT bad. But maybe invest in a set of 17's and get a meatier tire :)

RoidRage

Ready to race!
Yeah don't think we have it THAT bad. But maybe invest in a set of 17's and get a meatier tire :)

I was running my Denver's. I always thought Denver's & Detroit's were indestructible, I guess it only took 1 Canadian Winter to prove that theory wrong.

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
I went down to 16" winters, with splashy tires. This, and the traction in snow are the only benefits.

I tend to take the same routes everywhere, so I know where the pot holes are. I also swerve around them with no apologies. Of course, I do it safely.

palma

Ready to race!
Winter beater ;)

The golf stays in the garage nice and salt free with no bent wheels from pot holes.

nik

Go Kart Champion
I went down to 16" winters, with splashy tires. This, and the traction in snow are the only benefits.

I tend to take the same routes everywhere, so I know where the pot holes are. I also swerve around them with no apologies. Of course, I do it safely.

On top of that I keep an eye out for areas where water/ ice looks like it has collected which could signify a pot hole. Avoid catch basins manhole covers and what appears to be patch jobs. Because they fail pretty quickly.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk

georgy

Ready to race!
Winter beater ;)

The golf stays in the garage nice and salt free with no bent wheels from pot holes.

Yea, totally worth. Drive a shitbox for 6 months of the year to protect your ramz.

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

Powling

Ready to race!
If you think its bad now just wait until the warmer spring temps come. We are in for one shitty spring when it comes to pot holes.

michel

Ready to race!
mines making a weird 'crunch' sound when making left turns from a stop as soon as I clutch in from 1st -> 2nd gear. Also making popping noises on u-turns. I think my shocks are blown lol; hate this winter :mad:

Boostaholic1

Ready to race!
If only they could cement, I know how costly it would be, but the long term you would get out of it.. and it's much tougher, I know the 407 stayed concrete for quite some time.. now all being replaced with the other stuff.

Powling

Ready to race!
I think the real problem is that the companies who mix and make the asphalt that goes onto the road in Ontario are purposely adding special chemicals that cause dramatic expansion in cold temps and frost.

Long story short, I used to work for a private road sealing company where we'd spray a rubberized sealer onto roads that had been freshly asphalted and it would prevent these chemicals from expanding. When these chemicals expand it forces the larger rocks and pebbles in the asphalt to pop out and causes the road to deteriorate faster than expected...thus the road companies have to come back and re-asphalt the roads.

Its kind of like roofing shingles. They are rated to last "25 years" but in reality only last 8-10 at best.