GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front plate freedom day!!!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Never thought I'd see this happen, but as of today no front plates required on cars in Ohio.

Bought my car in Indiana so the front bumper wasn't drilled for a plate. No way I was going to do it either. I've been plate-less for 5 years. Even when the county sheriff pulled me over for enjoying my car too much nothing was said about the missing plate.

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie
Ooh yeah, as an ohioan i am pretty pumped about it. I already have a front plate on mine so ill be swapping my front plate out for something cool.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Congrats people of Ohio!!! Welcome to the club.

Unfortunately my car came from a neighboring front plate state and has holes in the bumper. I'll get them filled in at some point. I'm sure a deer will help me out in the future.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Congrats people of Ohio!!! Welcome to the club.

Unfortunately my car came from a neighboring front plate state and has holes in the bumper. I'll get them filled in at some point. I'm sure a deer will help me out in the future.
Or a raccoon. 🙄

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I almost had my mk6 gti towed thanks to no front plate, or at least that was what caught his (State trooper) eye and got my pulled over.

I had a euro plate made to be an exact replica of my Ohio plate complete with reflective background and the real registration stickers that should’ve been on my real plate. Now I realize that was a pretty stupid way to seek scene points so no hard feeling against the officer. He caught me fair and square, plus he was cool enough to be convinced not to tow my car and just write a no front plate ticket rather than falsified state documents which is a felony.

Needless to say both real plates went on as soon as I got home lol

Luckily I’ve lived in SC for the last five years so front plates haven’t been an issue.

Last edited:

Phur

Autocross Champion
At least he was cool about it. I wish that we had the option of euro-shaped plates in the states. They are just better in every way.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
At least he was cool about it. I wish that we had the option of euro-shaped plates in the states. They are just better in every way.

That was my argument, it was larger and more visible than the real plate so I clearly wasn’t running it with bad intentions.

The friend who hooked me up with plate (he knew a guy lol) ran his for 60,000+ miles with no issues, and even got tickets without any mention of the plate. Go figure I spent $300 between the plate and ticket just to get caught after a few thousand miles lol

clownish

just clowning around
I'm happy its legal but I can't help but wonder if the cops will start using the lack of a front plate as a reason for to start pulling over for tint or bulbs or other tiny infractions that are even more bs. I've never used a front plate in 13+ years.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Wow you were very lucky you weren't towed for fictitious plates. In 40,000 miles no one has mentioned my missing front plate. When in town I never parked at a meter, because the meter police would right you up for it.

I don't think police will start picking on other things. Right now they seem to be keeping a low profile, at least around here.

clownish

just clowning around
Maybe it's just the areas I frequent? I generally stay around NEO+, don't street park, etc. not because I'm afraid of being towed but because I don't want my cars getting hit or vandalized. And I park nose out a lot.

I hope you're right! I also have dark windshield/front tint, but I've run that for just as long as no front plate without issues. *knock on wood* Not 5% or anything ridiculous of course - and I don't do anything silly like stick bomb my car or anything so generally beside some tint or wheels there's nothing really noticeable about my vehicles.

Latron

Master of oil top off
I grew up in Ohio but moved 5 years ago to Texas. I didn't have a front plate for the longest time up there because my car came from Indiana and wasn't drilled for it. I got pulled over once for no front plate but luckily the cop let me off. Glad for you guys!! Now if Texas can just follow suit.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Got pulled over today in VA for no front plate, 2nd time since the virus hit, never had to happened the year before. First time was a warning this time i got a ticket (both different counties) , gonna throw a plate on and see if i can get it taken off since it's a 3 point hit. Wonder what their thinking was to whip a u-turn to go 40 in a 25 while the people in front of me were doing 35 and i was doing 25.....

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Don't mind me just looking on from NY...

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 170