GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Radar Realignment

Dread

Hit a bollard, replacing bumper cover and impact absorber. NOT replacing front radar. One body shop wants to include a radar realignment, the other not.

Radar realignment must include wheel alignment.

2015 vw golf tsi.
Not sure what to believe.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I did this professionally for a few years (nothing but radar/camera calibrations, etc). Per VW it is required any time the sensor is removed and reinstalled, which replacing the impact bar would qualify. Typical cost we would charge is in the $700 range, but we were mobile and came to body shops to do it. In-house or dealer are typically the same or cheaper.

I've written a post/article about all this stuff here:
https://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/adas-and-the-car-enthusiast/182698/page1/

That said, VW has a dynamic "learn" or trim that is occurring at all times while driving. If it exceeds I think 0.8 deg +/- from it's initial static learn position, then it'll set a DTC and you have no choice but to relearn it. There are some half-ass ways to adjust the impact-bar mounted sensors via live data in VCDS but haven't done it myself. You should be able to find it with a simple search. After doing it as long as I did on all makes and models - just know that there are risks in doing it yourself without the proper setup and tools. Everything can be "fine" until you're passing a car and it thinks you're going to contact it'll stab the brakes for you. In that post I mentioned that a body shop put a Hyundai back together, never called me out. "No codes, it's fine!" Nope. Brought the car to near a dead stop entering a tunnel from 60+mph with nobody in front of them. 2 or 3 weeks after the customer took delivery of it. I don't *think* the VW system functions in a way that would allow this to happen to that extent, but I also can't say it won't happen.

The shop that says radar+wheel alignment isn't needed are idiots by the way and are NOT repairing your car properly.

Fried_Soap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI 5MT
It is technically possible to manually zero out the misadjustment angles in VCDS/ODIS/whatever, make small, calculated adjustments to the radar via the adjustment screws, and let the sensor dynamically re-determine the misadjustment angles, on certain radars. I did this recently as my radar decided it was very slightly outside the ±0.8˚ range stated above after flashing it with newer firmware; I never physically touched the radar and it wasn't complaining beforehand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In your case however the car was in an accident (i.e. physically thrown out of adjustment) which means half-assing the calibration is not an option. If you want the radar to function safely, this calibration process needs to happen. The car unfortunately does need an alignment and radar calibration...