GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel flap fails to open on first attempt

VAGlad

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone has the same issue as me. I have a Golf GTE mk8 and for some reason I have this issue with opening a fuel tank flap using the button.

What happens is: I park at a fuel station, turn the engine off, then press the button to open the flap and I get a warning that says 'Currently unable to refuel, see owner's manual'. If I try to turn the engine on then off and try the button again it usually works.

I can't figure out if I am doing something wrong or doing it in the wrong order, i.e. does the engine need to be on to open it? I have looked in the manual and it has nothing on it.

I have a car booked to fix some other shenanigans this week so was wondering if I am just being dumb or should get them to check this out too.

Thanks!

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
If it doesn't work and then it does, there is likey to be something wrong so report it when it is in. It may or may not be logged somewhere in the system but they will tell you after they have plugged it in. Maybe.

tos

Go Kart Newbie
I think that is normal, someone said that...
The delay it is related to emissions systems or something.

Manual says:

Venting air from the fuel tank

The fuel tank is automatically vented when the release button
in the driver door is pressed.

An audible signal can be heard and an automatic venting message is shown on the Instrument cluster display.

Observe any messages in the instrument cluster display if the tank flap cannot be opened.

--

Failure of automatic venting of the fuel tank

If the fuel tank is opened without prior ventilation, fuel vapour will escape from the filler neck. This may result in a brief fuel smell.

Open the fuel tank without ventilation:
  • Press the release button
    . The tank flap is released without ventilation.
  • Open the tank flap.
Refuelling if automatic venting of the fuel tank is not working:
  • Hold the filler nozzle so that the handle is facing down in order to ensure optimum filling.
  • While refuelling, the nozzle may switch off early due to a lack of ventilation.
  • Only in this case, continue to refuel with caution until the fuel tank is full.
  • If automatic venting still does not work, proceed to a qualified workshop immediately to have the ventilation system checked.

VAGlad

An Update: so after a month of being in the service, they have finally figured it out and fixed it.

Turns out the flap issue was also linked to this issue I posted before https://www.golfmk8.com/forums/inde...ds-to-keep-running-issue.389272/#post-7727471.
Apparently it was something to do with a valve in the petrol tank and it pressurising/not pressurising correctly. Hence why it was not opening the flap sometimes and also giving errors on the drive, probably thinking it has some fuel issues. FYI, took them 11 hours to fix the thing - mostly because of the complexity of the rear suspension and EV battery they had to take out and put back.

Looks to be sorted now, thought to post back in case anyone ever comes across anything weird like that with a GTE or eHybrid Golf :)

Happy driving everyone!

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Good to know they got it sorted and thanks for the information. I have the eHybrid so if i come across this problem i know what to do😉👍
I have not seen that engine running message for a couple months so fingers crossed🤞.