GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuse for dashcam?

andygodber

Anyone recommend the best fuse/fuse slot for a dashcam?
F52 seems to be the ACC/cigarette ligher slot; its full size though, so my old add-a-fuse is too small.

Also, the usefull Ground connector from the Mk7.5 is gone and I cant see another easily - any clues?

Pinocchio

Passed Driver's Ed
F52 is the correct fuse to use,and piggyback. I have tried fitting my nextbase but like you locating an earthing point is an absolute pain so havn't got it connected yet.

andygodber

Ive had another look. There is a bolt in the fusebox area (I think it might be the same one that was in my 7.5) but it is now inaccessible due to a plastic trim which covers the lower part of the fuse area.
Its just below two relays marked 646.
Ive tried to show where but will take a better photo when the light is right.
fuse1.png
fuse2.jpg

Trickydickie

If you take off the panel at the end of the dash with the passenger airbag off switch in it, you can bolt an earth to the metal structure of the dash. I also used a fuse that is only live with ignition ontempImageamxyQO.pngtempImageJvHWQv.png

Trickydickie

Yes it is tight but only held with clips. I use a small flat screwdriver and a cloth. The cloth goes behind the screwdriver shaft to stop any damage. Once it’s off it’s a lot easier the next time.

lhasadreams

Hi,
I am just about to trade my Mk7.5 Golf in for a Mk8 Golf.
In the 7.5 I fitted the a Garmin Dashcam with their permanent wiring kit.
Thanks to this thread I know the fuse for the switched live to piggy back on to, the Garmin also requires a permanent live but I am struggling to find which fuse that should be.
On the 7.5, 37 was the switched live and 6 the constant live.

Does anyone have a fuse layout picture that tells you what each one is for? Or even better knows which fuse slot I could use for permanent live - on the 7.5 there was no fuse fitted to position 6.

I am in the UK, so it will be a RHD car.

Cheers,
Ade

lhasadreams

F4B5D1FE-1D32-4AB0-89B6-C590994965B3.jpeg

59B269A3-63CC-423C-99AB-2068CFA43D2C.jpeg

Fitted the Garmin Parking mode cable tonight.
I used fuse slot F22 for the permanent live (no other circuit is connected to this on my car).
Slot F52 for the switched live.
Also when the end cover is taken off there is a small bit of trim you can remove to reveal a stud you can use for the earth.
Hope this helps someone else out.
My car is a RHD Mk8 R.

lhasadreams

No worries, hopefully it may help someone else out.
Yea a Mk8 Golf R, dropped lucky, the dealer had just taken delivery of it as their demonstrator and decided to sell it instead. Apparently the factory build times are as much as 6 months at the moment!
ADB3B67A-BAF7-4050-8761-5DFD7E6FB4DE.jpeg

sut

View attachment 215541
View attachment 215542
I used fuse slot F22 for the permanent live (no other circuit is connected to this on my car).
Also when the end cover is taken off there is a small bit of trim you can remove to reveal a stud you can use for the earth.
My car is a RHD Mk8 R.
I am about to wire in my thinkware u1000 and was going to use the same connections as yourself and the same grouding point.
The thing that stopped me though was the fuse point at the bottom I couldn't get the tapper to seat well due to the large 40amp fuses I see you turned your fuse tapper around the other way to avoid them. I didn't do this as I understand the fuse tapper has a live 12v connection and that is the left terminal and that needs to go into the live connection on the fuse board and that is the top/high Point on that fuse and the bottom is the return and as only one side of the board is live you appear to have your tapper connected wrong. So as I understand it your tapper has the live on the wrong side ? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am only learning through instruction videos. So may I ask is it all working OK as if all is OK then I will do this tomorrow save me messing around more.
I hope what I have said makes sense.
View attachment 215541
View attachment 215542
My car is a RHD Mk8 R.

Bigkev198991

Hi guys,

Just wondering how did you guys remove the glove box to access the fuse module?

And how did you take off the cover to the sensor behind the rear view mirror to run the wiring up?

Cheers
K

DaLiu

Might sound like a stupid question but seems like I cannot open my fuse box panel inside the car on my Golf 8, according to the manual for the left hand drive vehicle, it's like in the picture but seems stuck or I am afraid to pull it off to not break anything.

Looking for some suggestions please.

r/vwgolf - Golf 8 fuse box panel inside the car, how to open?

VgRt6

Ready to race!
It doesn’t open easily. You have to pull hard. Pull on the right lower corner. There are tabs on the left edge that the cover “hinges” on.

emgee992

Hi Guys, I think I'm blind LOL, but does anyone have a picture of F52? I can literally find F51 and F53, but no F52.