GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

gas cap light then CEL.

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
As the title states, my CEL has been coming on quite frequently lately. It started last week I saw my gas cap light was on and I know for a fact I always make sure to tighten my gas cap all the way, and on the TSI's the cap doesnt click it just stops, so I thought that was a little strange but I got out and checked it and it was fine. The next time I started my car it went off and I was good for a couple days, then the CEL came on so I'm like wtf? I thought something was seriously wrong, but I was boosting normal so I knew it couldnt be that. Then I took it to the dealer where I work and scanned it with the dealer scan tool and came up with 3 codes. Evap leak, major leak, and one other I cant remember. So I just cleared the codes and I was fine for a couple days and now the same sequence of events happend again. I think it may have something to do with temp, because we've been having 60* days and 20* nights but idk. I only work on the weekends so does anybody have some insite as to what it may be until I can get it looked at?

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
It has to be an evaporative leak for the gas cap light to come on.

I don't mean to freak you out, but it might not be coming from the cap at all. It might be coming from somewhere else in the fuel neck or even the tank, but the cap is the most likely culprit.

Since when do fuel caps stop clicking though?

That seems like an unlikely running change to me.

TZSGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Honda Civic Type R

I don't mean to freak you out, but it might not be coming from the cap at all. It might be coming from somewhere else in the fuel neck or even the tank, but the cap is the most likely culprit.

Got the same thing when i went to stage 2. The dealer pulled up the same code. Could it be from fuel cuts? I checked the cap and it was tight. It went away but came back on today.

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy

I think your right, I noticed a strong smell of gas in the car after I fill up for the last couple weeks. But I am 100% sure my gas cap does not click, its an 08.5 I thought it was king of strange when I first bought the car but I've never had any problems?

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE RIGHT NOW Getting the same code "SMALL/LOW EVAP LEAK" is what the dealer's scan is saying, so they ordered a new GAS CAP and said it is probably the culprit, because it is not CLICKING anymore.

But ever since i got this CEL, my car has been running like SHIT!! It feels like I am going to stall in REVERSE....which in all of the 50K miles before this i have had NO ISSUES with REVERSE!!! Use to be always SMOOTH as BUTTER...and now even 1st gear feels like it is about to stall...so the dealer is saying they will check the THROTTLE BODY...becuase i don't have any codes they can't do the TSB...so he said he will take it out and CLEAN it see if that helps!!

I hope this EVAP LEAK isn't causing a DOMINO EFFECT!!! ARGHHH!!!! I just want my car to be back to normal again...I tally all the times my 06 GTI has been in service for little things..and in 3yrs of ownership, I've been to the dealer(s) 36 times!!! WTF!!!! LOL I didn't realize how many times I had to have my car in for stupid ass stuff!!!!

blackgti06

"My Fast"
Car(s)
2006 MKV Gti
Same here my 06 MKV GTI has been in and out of the dealer dozens of times, It could be your purge valve(N80) or the cainsiter. I had the same leak and had the following done.

Fuel filter
Purge Valve
Fuel line
Fuel line hose

LiquidG

Touring Car Champion
i had this problem also on a 06 gti i never got it fixed iv been trying to get my car fixed that need to be repaired by me due to aftermarket stuff before i take my car in to fix the cam lobe wear and a bunch of other stuff. Car is out of warranty in 500 km and I hope its just the cap because if it doesnt toss a code wile im at the dealer il be fked cuz no warranty. Hopefully its just a gas cap issue.

man i have the same prob (gas cap light a few days ago, no cel though). but my car is now idling high. it's becoming more and more frequent too. vag com says evap leak. Now i have to find the time to hunt it down. let me know what you find and i'll do the same

ard

Ready to race!
i get same issue. typically its gas cap light comes on and then a couple days later the CEL comes on. the code is usually small leak or large leak. i went to dealer and i cut my gas cap off and gave it to them to test. they tested it and the cap held pressure fine. so they said the other thing i could try is i think the purge valve (06E 906 517 A). anyway, i bought one of those but i haven't installed it yet. meanwhile its CEL after CEL for me

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
I just talked to my tech the other day and he said they might have to replace the whole tank, but I wont know untill this weekend when I bring it back. Keep in mind thou its an 08.5 TSI so I'm not sure if my problem is the same or even similar to the problem you guys are having.

Quicker10u

Pwned by P90x until....
Car(s)
06' GTI
I have P2404 and it keeps coming back. I looked and the nipple is busted off the front of my Evap pump thing (where you put the boost tap in). Hard to explain, but how can I buy a new one?? Is it part# 06E 906 517 A ? Can I find one online? Thanks for your replies.

Slim2002

'sPEEd' junkie
Car(s)
2006 GTI
i recntly had the same problem, took it to the dealer and they replaced the gas cap, and the next day it came back on, took it to another dealer, and they replaced the Fuel filter, Purge Valve, and my fuel pump..and now everything been good since and that was 4 months ago..

Big Jerm

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2006 GTI
hate to bring an old thread back up. but i am having this issue as well. with the gas cap light coming on, then checking, it going off then the cel comes on with these codes.

EVAP System: Large Leak Detected
P0455 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

any suggestions?