GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General Car, Inferior or Superior Interior, & Eternal Mullet Barge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm not even saying I would buy an ST over a GTI if I was buying today... well I probably would. But having driven both on a "track" the ST was just much more fun, handled better, more nuetral with a bit more possible oversteer rather than understeer non stop like in the GTI. Also, the power level felt very similar to my stage 1 GTI, I love the seats, etc. There's a lot to like about that car and I honestly don't mind the looks or the interior. The GTI's are definitely preferable though.

I think once I upgrade the RSB on my car it will be pretty close... once you put better tires on the GTI and VAGCOM to defeat the stability it can actually be more fun. I felt lift off oversteer at my last auto-x (first time I'd had stability off) and was pleasantly surprised.

My problem with the Focus ST is how cramped the rear seats are. I adjusted the front driver's seat for myself, then sat in the rear and my knees were nearly touching the seatback. That doesn't happen in my GTI.

The other issue is the lack of a dual-clutch option to make it work as a shared car with a wife.

From a performance standpoint though, I agree, I would definitely go with the Focus ST over a GTI.

Bender1

Banned
Even if I bought a whole new engine, turbos, suspension, and brakes the car would still be cheaper than anything comparable.

3.0T A6 Avant is $40k with no air and no manual option, and the new Porsche Macan is $50k minimum with less space and no manual option.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Right but thats not a good comparison either. 10 year old vehicle as compared to a brand new is silly.

Magnum, V70-R (even a V70-T5) are more valid comparisons.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Even if I bought a whole new engine, turbos, suspension, and brakes the car would still be cheaper than anything comparable.

3.0T A6 Avant is $40k with no air and no manual option, and the new Porsche Macan is $50k minimum with less space and no manual option.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah, if you place no value on your time and happiness. Spending 80 hours replacing all of that stuff sounds pretty awful.

My problem with the Focus ST is how cramped the rear seats are. I adjusted the front driver's seat for myself, then sat in the rear and my knees were nearly touching the seatback. That doesn't happen in my GTI.

The other issue is the lack of a dual-clutch option to make it work as a shared car with a wife.

From a performance standpoint though, I agree, I would definitely go with the Focus ST over a GTI.

I never sat in the back but from what I've heard this is true. Manual only for me so that's not really a factor but I'm sre it would help their sales a bit.

Right but thats not a good comparison either. 10 year old vehicle as compared to a brand new is silly.

Magnum, V70-R (even a V70-T5) are more valid comparisons.

True, superior or not, old is old. Can't get around it, something new will always seem nicer.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, the Focus ST rear legroom is abysmal, the Recaros only make it worse.

When I first looked in the back seat of the GTI, I couldn't believe how much legroom there was back there.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion

Back seat was the deal sealer for me. I'm gonna need to put a baby back there, and the focus back seat, especially with the recaros (which was all I could find in my area)...yeah.

I probably could've lived with the adolescent interior design if needs be, that isn't as big a consideration for me. (Obviously, I bought a WRX haha)

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, the Focus ST rear legroom is abysmal, the Recaros only make it worse.

When I first looked in the back seat of the GTI, I couldn't believe how much legroom there was back there.

Yeah you would never guess it from looking at the outside of the GTI.

Merkle

Banned
Enough FWD hatch lameness talk.

Let me pose a question:

Favorite performance from the 90's

Japan -
US-
Germany-
Italy-
Badteeth island-

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

Let me pose a question:

Japan -
US-
Germany-
Italy-
Badteeth island-

I've never been a big follower of super cars so this one is tough for me, but I'll try:

Japan - NSX.... followed by FD RX-7, 300ZX twin turbo, Supra turbo, I loved Japanese cars in the 90s

US- Viper. I idolized it growing up in the 90s

Germany- 911, M Coupe?

Italy- forget them.... McClaren F1 is better

Badteeth island-

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Limiting to 2 per

Let me pose a question:

Japan - NSX, FD RX-7
US- C5 Z06, Viper
Germany- 911 GT3, E36 M3 (euro-spec)
Italy- F355, Murcielago
Badteeth island-Mclaren F1, Espirit?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Supercars don't do much for me, honestly. Cool to look at, but not really something I'd ever want to buy unless I was loaded enough to have track access whenever I wanted it.

I wouldn't want to drive one on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.