GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glass panoramic roof and some other things...

santricity

Hi there, it's my first post here, happy 2021 : )

I'm going to order my MK8 in Belgium next week and I can't decide whether to go with sunroof or not. Does anyone have experience, maybe with previous models with this option? Will it cause more noise while driving on motorways? Should I expect some issues in the future such as leaking, rattling, etc?

What do you think about light grey interior? Couple of dealers I visited didn't have cars available with this option. Light interior looks really nice on pictures, but I'm afraid I will need to wash it 6 times a year...

Moonstone special colour paint - it looks really awesome, even my wife told me to go for this one (lol), but It's not a metallic one... Do you think it will fade away with time?

And does anyone have Harman Kardon audio? I was really surprised with quality of stock stereo, I'm not sure it's worth to go with HK. It probably will give more punch thanks to the subwoofer, but any comment will be appreciated.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
What do you think about light grey interior? Couple of dealers I visited didn't have cars available with this option. Light interior looks really nice on pictures, but I'm afraid I will need to wash it 6 times a year...
We have the light grey interior on our Style. Looks fantastic and isn’t hard to keep clean (even with grandkids in the back). The ‘Art Velours’ microfibre upholstery on the Style seems to resist dirt and any that does appear vanishes with a quick vacuum.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Here’s some pics

Attachments

• 341D2CF0-067E-4D53-9DC0-F138B800DFBB.png
    341D2CF0-067E-4D53-9DC0-F138B800DFBB.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 230
  • 7EC2A133-FDA0-4574-9454-97EC6DCC57FF.png
    7EC2A133-FDA0-4574-9454-97EC6DCC57FF.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 206

MIKE PP.

Go Kart Newbie
I have the sunroof on a MK.7 Golf R. I haven't so far had any problems with it's operation or leaks. I would recommend it, the interior has more light and the roof can be left open with the mesh shade closed on a hot sunny day keeping the occupants cool. I don't find it noisy at speed if the roof is in the tilt position.

keithoc

I have one on the MK8. It's great. It works fine and no noticeable change in noise compared to previous 7.5. Only complaint is that it doesn't extend far enough back. Aside from that all good.

Donald

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi there, it's my first post here, happy 2021 : )

I'm going to order my MK8 in Belgium next week and I can't decide whether to go with sunroof or not. Does anyone have experience, maybe with previous models with this option? Will it cause more noise while driving on motorways? Should I expect some issues in the future such as leaking, rattling, etc?

Moonstone special colour paint - it looks really awesome, even my wife told me to go for this one (lol), but It's not a metallic one... Do you think it will fade away with time?

And does anyone have Harman Kardon audio? I was really surprised with quality of stock stereo, I'm not sure it's worth to go with HK. It probably will give more punch thanks to the subwoofer, but any comment will be appreciated.
I have R-line in Moonstone with a sunroof no noise at all. Not opened much since it’s winter time. Any who speaks to me loves the colour, also has Ventura wheels and most important to my wife the winter pack.

Last edited:

MIKE PP.

Go Kart Newbie
I have a sunroof on my Mk. 7 Golf R. I haven't experienced any problems with it and I prefer the look of the car with it. My car was treated with a protective coat to the interior which prevents spills and stains from marking the seats and trim. You could perhaps have that done, especially if you want a light interior.

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello. I have the panoramic sunroof in my MK8 GTD. A few things to note from my experiences to date:-
1) Alas, after 5 months it has developed a rattle. Not unsurprising though as I had the same issue with the MK5 and MK7. Back to the dealers next month for a new frame to be fitted in the hope that that will resolve it.
2) No problem with noise at motorway speed, in fact, if it is tilted, it automatically closes about half way when you get to about 60mph. It then re-opens to fully tilted when you slow down. Obviously, if it’s open instead of tilted at that speed you will get some wind noise.
3) The switch to operate the roof is a little fiddly in my opinion and not as easy to operate as a physical switch, but I guess I’ll get used to it.
It is an expensive option, but one that I always end up picking. Hope this helps a bit.

Cyberman

I have the sunroof. I decided to go with all the (very limited) options available in Australia for my R-Line (sunroof, head-up display and H/K sound system), so that I don't regret not having the options (I regretted not getting the GPS option on my mk7 Golf).
I like being able to tap on the control and it tilts the roof open slightly so in summer I can park the car in the sun and doesn't get as hot.
I like having a sunroof as it makes any car less claustrophobic. It's a good for resale, as you can get more money for the car and sell it quicker.
The only sunroof I had problems with was my mk4 Golf. I didn't realise there's a drain for the rain which got blocked, and all it needed was a simple clean.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I have the sunroof. I decided to go with all the (very limited) options available in Australia for my R-Line (sunroof, head-up display and H/K sound system), so that I don't regret not having the options (I regretted not getting the GPS option on my mk7 Golf).
I like being able to tap on the control and it tilts the roof open slightly so in summer I can park the car in the sun and doesn't get as hot.
I like having a sunroof as it makes any car less claustrophobic. It's a good for resale, as you can get more money for the car and sell it quicker.
The only sunroof I had problems with was my mk4 Golf. I didn't realise there's a drain for the rain which got blocked, and all it needed was a simple clean.
One of the cars I owned back in the 1980’s had a sunroof and I used to leave the sunroof in the tilt position in the summer as you do. On one occasion, a small bird got into the car through the sunroof opening and couldn’t find its way back out so it panicked - seems that it panic mode the bird opened its bowels a number of times 💩💩💩over the interior of my car 😧. After that, I never left the sunroof open while parked up!

Block sunroof drain pipes in the mk7 Golf has been reported on some forums as the cause of water ingress into the car, so they can still get blocked, so a check every few weeks to make sure they’re clear is certainly worthwhile.