GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going mad with high pitched whistle!

Sforza209

I am in desperate need of some help! I have a 2011 GTI w/ a HPA hybrid k04 and numerous other mods. When I did the turbo swap I noticed the top left exhaust manifold stud was broken. I unfortunately didn’t fix the stud prior to the swap. About a month after the swap a high pitched whistle sounding whine started to happen. Only under acceleration. It doesn’t happen when I’m parked and I rev the engine but it slightly occurs when it’s at like 7500 rpm. When I was told the whistle could be due to the broken stud and the gasket I tried to drill the stud out with no success. So to test if the whistle was actually due to the gasket I applied some exhaust leak putty to that corner of the exhaust manifold. That didn’t change or stop the whistle noise. I’ve posted two videos of the loud ass whistle noise. I’m at my wits end with this problem. I don’t even want to drive my car. I’ve been doing a lot of reading of people with similar problems and some blame the secondary air pump. It does sound like the noise is coming from that side of the engine compartment. Can anyone please give me some insight into this noise?!

95AC951D-7675-46E0-86F9-1F5BF752A216.jpeg1786D65D-C86F-4503-A208-18280B8D0BDB.jpeg

https://youtube.com/shorts/3bn2nWdK8w8?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/oR572ECQthU?feature=share

Attachments

• 94CAC1FE-72D2-404A-9D82-854231C2CA69.jpeg
    94CAC1FE-72D2-404A-9D82-854231C2CA69.jpeg
    847.9 KB · Views: 101

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Sounds more like stg2 intake harmonic whistle to me.

Also you blew the shit out of this red light holy shit:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Don’t think that noise is from the exhaust. Sounds like intake harmonics. What intake do you have and are you running the stock DV?

Sforza209

Sounds more like stg2 intake harmonic whistle to me.

Also you blew the shit out of this red light holy shit:

Yea I guess I did. I was following the lead I’d the other car. lol. Oops!

Sforza209

Sforza209

Don’t think that noise is from the exhaust. Sounds like intake harmonics. What intake do you have and are you running the stock DV?
I was thinking the same thing. So I removed the entire APR carbon fiber intake and installed my old Nuespeed intake and the whistle noise still persisted. I’ve removed and reinstalled both the outlet and charge pipe. I, for the life of me cannot figure out what this noise is. It’s extremely annoying!

Attachments

• DAA73146-5803-40CC-BDF9-46BDE2B6D72C.jpeg
    DAA73146-5803-40CC-BDF9-46BDE2B6D72C.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 72

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
The whistle comes from air passing over the DV. If you have the OEM pre rev C edition that is your problem

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Newer style DV, GFB DV+ or Turbosmart plumb back Kompact should alleviate the harmonic whistle.

torga

Autocross Champion

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Definitely worth checking what version DV you have on there. I concur on the harmonics theory here. I had it and a DV+ from GFB fixed it.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Newer style DV, GFB DV+ or Turbosmart plumb back Kompact should alleviate the harmonic whistle.

I'd say this with a grain of salt, I had this whistle appear months after I bought the car and had removed and re-installed the intake a few times for other projects. I replaced DV with TurboSmart PB with no change.

It won't happen at idle revving it because it's caused by boost. When you are driving it should show up right around when you go from vacuum to boost building.

Sforza209

The whistle comes from air passing over the DV. If you have the OEM pre rev C edition that is your problem
Guys, I’m running the gfb dv+ spacer and the revised rev c diverter valve. I swap in between the GFB dv+ and the GFB VTA spacer. I also thought it may be the diverter valve so I swapped from the rev c that came with the HPA k04 to my old dv that was on my k03. The whistle still persisted.