GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 8 - Centre Console Storage

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
So who has found the most useful way to utilise this (seemingly) pointless design for storage beside the gear selector?

What are you supposed to put in it?!?

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
I just put the key there & a microfibre cloth to get rid of prints after a while atm
We also thought it may be somehow a place for the key. Then realised the area below, near the cup holder area, has an image of a key on it as it's clearly designated home.

Really wonder what the efficient German designers at VW were thinking with this storage feature....😅

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
If I had a mk8 Golf with keyless start, I’d use that long slim storage area for my key rather than the cupholder. That storage area could also be used for a pack of sweets (e.g. Polo mints - other brands of mints are available 😃) or a pen - if it’s long enough to accommodate a pen.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
I suspect the designers had a bit of a "well, better than nothing I guess" moment when working on that piece. Putting the gear selector in the middle would have too much useless negative space on either side, so they put the selector to the side and next to it, "storage". It's better than nothing. But it doesn't hold much lol.