GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 8 stock speakers

MikeMK8

Ready to race!
Hi there, I'm currently looking into upgrading my car to a mk8 golf. My local VW dealer has listed the infotainment as "Navigation system "Discover Media" with 8" colour touchscreen and 6+1 speakers, including Dynamic Road Sign Display". What i want to know is if the car comes with a subwoofer without the optional harman/kardon extra. Some say that it's just 6 speakers, but wherever i look there is always the front dash grill and it makes me wonder if the stock system has the subwoofer or at least a speaker in there. My local dealership says 6+1 speakers so that's what got me all confused. Could anyone clarify? Thanks.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
The Discovery Media is a 10" screen infotainment system and yes you have a 6+1 speaker system (8RT): 2 front tweeters, 2 front woofers, 1 front-centre midrange speaker and 2 rear wideband speakers.
Update: From Dates between 27/02/2023 to 19/06/2023 the Golf 8 with Harmon Kardon System can either come with the Subwoofer part number 5H0035621 or 6C0035621.

Golf 8 Speaker Setup.jpg

Last edited:

tos

Go Kart Newbie
These part numbers on the picture are too short, one 0 is missing behind of 5H0

andyDncn

Hello Massimo - your HK schematic is great thank you. Do you by any chance have the detailed specs for the HK speakers? you have some data on there but not the tweeters.
the reason I ask is I have managed to retrofit the wiring, amp and infotainment interface of the HK sound system into my MK8GTE. This was not easy. At all!
The upshot is I now need to check I have the right speakers to make sure it is working optimally - even if I get some better quality ones than the stock HK ones.
As background I started off thinking this retrofit would be pretty impossible so I actually changed the factory VW speakers to Focals as they offer an unpowered plug and play solution for better sound. Then I took a gamble and tracked down the wiring and amp. 8 months later I am nearly at the finishing line...

orlinst

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello Massimo - your HK schematic is great thank you. Do you by any chance have the detailed specs for the HK speakers? you have some data on there but not the tweeters.
the reason I ask is I have managed to retrofit the wiring, amp and infotainment interface of the HK sound system into my MK8GTE. This was not easy. At all!
The upshot is I now need to check I have the right speakers to make sure it is working optimally - even if I get some better quality ones than the stock HK ones.
As background I started off thinking this retrofit would be pretty impossible so I actually changed the factory VW speakers to Focals as they offer an unpowered plug and play solution for better sound. Then I took a gamble and tracked down the wiring and amp. 8 months later I am nearly at the finishing line...
Hi, can you please share your impressions for the Focals? Which one did you get - the standalone front and rear speakers or some of their sub and amp included solutions? I am interested if there is some obvious difference in the sound quality compared to the stock speakers. I am with 7 speaker setup in my golf (no HK) and in my opinion the sound is very decent. Yeah, sometimes i miss a sub in the back, but most of the time it performs good enough.

andyDncn

Hi, can you please share your impressions for the Focals? Which one did you get - the standalone front and rear speakers or some of their sub and amp included solutions? I am interested if there is some obvious difference in the sound quality compared to the stock speakers. I am with 7 speaker setup in my golf (no HK) and in my opinion the sound is very decent. Yeah, sometimes i miss a sub in the back, but most of the time it performs good enough.
HI there - the 7 speaker sound system is pretty average in my opinion. Adding the focals made it much clearer sound and they reall yare plug and play using the 155 and 165 kits - you can tell opening up the focal boxes before installationt that these are high quality for a decent price. I stopped short of going for the Focal amp that goes under the drivers seat as I knew I wanted to try and retro fit the HK amp. I have nearly done that now and hearing the focals with amplified sound coming out of them there has been another step up in quality. The only thing I have noticed is the parking sensors have played up - if you add after market tweeters then the system may need coding as it produces an error code.

Dennis Chang

HI there - the 7 speaker sound system is pretty average in my opinion. Adding the focals made it much clearer sound and they reall yare plug and play using the 155 and 165 kits - you can tell opening up the focal boxes before installationt that these are high quality for a decent price. I stopped short of going for the Focal amp that goes under the drivers seat as I knew I wanted to try and retro fit the HK amp. I have nearly done that now and hearing the focals with amplified sound coming out of them there has been another step up in quality. The only thing I have noticed is the parking sensors have played up - if you add after market tweeters then the system may need coding as it produces an error code.
Hi, interested in Focal IS VW 155 and 165 speakers. Would like to know is it direct plug & play by replacing the existing speakers? Better bass and overall volume? Also, notice that the Impedance of the speakers is different. 4 ohms for the original speakers and 2 ohms for Focal speakers. Is there any issue with this using the existing infotainment system?

Apologize due to English is not my first language.

AndyD

Hi Dennis

The kit is plug and play and no issues regarding ohms

I ran the focals for a while before I retrofitted the HK amp and using them with power.

I would say they were very clear. A quality sound but no great shakes on the bass.

Focal do offer a kit for under seat subwoofers and I think that is a great option