GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 8 - Wireless Charging behaviour

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I picked up my new mk8 golf gti 2021 on Wednesday and have found my iPhone 12 mini switches to Apple Pay every time I put my phone on the charging point. Seems to be charging. The only way to stop it is to remove the card registered for Apple Pay.
There is a TPI from VW about the Apple Pay where they say it is not caused by the vehicle but the problem is with the iPhones that do not behave according to a defined standard.
"As soon as the iPhone recognises an NFC communication with the charging cradle, the iPhone automatically starts the Apple Pay app but no costs are created"

Last edited:

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
5 months on we still have this issue, and basically are unable to use the wireless charging 'feature' of the car.

Additionally the Apply Pay issues are also present...

There is a TPI from VW about the Apple Pay where they say it is not caused by the vehicle but the problem is with the iPhones that do not behave according to a defined standard.
"As soon as the iPhone recognises an NFC communication with the charging cradle, the iPhone automatically starts the Apple Pay app but no costs are created"

That is just ridiculous o_O

Liz Bruen

My 2021 GTI has been in for a recall and on my list of issues, one was the wire charger. I had the same issues as some others on here. It would say it was charging and after a few minutes would say random things like remove items from charging tray or just that it had stopped charging.
I’d just upgraded my phone to iPhone 13 and they tell me that the software does not yet support iPhone 13. I had the iPhone 10 when I first got the car and that was the same so seemed like a bit of a fob off. They (VW) said that the software will at some point catch up. Seems mad to me.

MikeMK8

Ready to race!
Hi, i think this is just the iPhone 12 phones and above because of the magsafe feature. Its basically a lot of magnets on the inside of the phone and is not compatible with a lot of wireless chargers. Tried using my iPhone 12 Pro Max on my old wireless charger and it would start charging for a few seconds and afterwards it would completely stop. Hope this helps.

Dwj

Mines been ok with a 11pro and the a 13pro with a case, sometimes get a message about removing objects from the charging tray though

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Not according to this guy
Oh, my bad, I must be imagining it then? :rolleyes:...:LOL:

To be clear, the thread was started by me, with reference to an iPhone 12 Mini.
The issue still persists.
Cleary the other 'guy' with a 11 Pro and 13 Pro has better luck with removal of cases - - but its not a fix.

1238carey

My nieces husband has a 2022 Golf and my iPhone 13 Pro charges fine in his car. I had given up re my Oct 2020 car but this made go back to the dealer. They had the car for 5 weeks and did every test possible and concluded that it’s an Apple problem, even though the newer cars charge the phone fine.

I am in a for a service and major software update in two weeks so we’ll if that helps.