GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf beeps (bongs) when I’m near home

keithoc

My new Golf does this thing where it seems to chime loudly when I get to a certain point on the road on my way home. It also does it randomly when I’m out and about. I thought I was going mad but I’ve noticed the pattern. Anyone know what system is doing this or how I stop it?

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
What is the notification associated with the ‘bongs’? There should be one that comes up on the virtual instrument display at the same time.

If it’s related to ‘Travel Assist‘ not available then see posts 51 and subsequent on this thread https://www.golfmk8.com/forums/index.php?threads/trouble-with-travel-assist.379680/page-4.

Our car had this problem and it did occur when coming close to home and also at roundabouts and junctions. It was worse in damp weather. It needed at software update to 1668 and a replacement steering wheel and associated loom. There was a problem with the capacitive sensors in the steering wheel loom which are there to stop you driving hands free when using Travel Assist.

keithoc

That’s the thing. Nothing pops up on any display. Now you mention it the other chimes have been near larger roundabouts. My software is on 1788. Thanks for the lead.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Ok - you will only have the steering wheel issue if your car has Travel Assist. You know you have it if the car has this button on the bottom right of the left hand steering wheel controls.
20210327_133143.jpg

Software version 17** is for a different infotainment system than the Discover Pro (16**) which is why I'm suggesting you need to check for Travel Assist.