GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gray Ghost 2010 CSG Autobahn - 2009 CW GTI - MK6 Road Warriors

zrickety

The Fixer
Good to know. I don't have a drill press, and I would be worried about damaging the holes in the ring gear. I will probably go the grinder route, or maybe some combination of both.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Good to know. I don't have a drill press, and I would be worried about damaging the holes in the ring gear. I will probably go the grinder route, or maybe some combination of both.

I would just use a hand drill and a punch to center the bit. Use a lot of pb as I go to keep from roasting the bit. Once it gets close push it through with the punch. Or just buy a new ring gear, dont know what one would cost but I will be installing one of these in the future

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
You don’t need a drill press. Use a center punch. Buy a good cobalt drill bit. Use low rpm and don’t force the bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
Thanks guys. I'm excited for this upgrade...will definitely post up my progress. It may be a few weeks before I can tear into it.

zrickety

The Fixer
So I haven't touched the transmission yet...I let my wife's colleague borrow the car while his Corvette was in the shop. It took over a month! I got it back a week or so ago, have really been enjoying it. I sold my LED tails almost 3 years ago, but then picked up another set cheap and they sat on the shelf. Turns out they had the rear fog, I didn't know. Those went in last week.

Kenwood has disappointed me twice on the Jeep, and now on the GTI. Bluetooth started failing, Pandora app stopped working entirely. I was able to use the bluetooth audio for some time and now that is intermittent. I looked at the RCD330 and decided to try a different Android head unit that was much cheaper.

Quad core, wifi, GPS, 16GB internal, 1GB ram, 9" screen. It comes with CAN module for steering wheel controls, and the harness is prewired for VW. It was basically plug and play. But I did have to steal my old antenna adapter, the new one didn't have 2 connections.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Android-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It was a gamble, but I like it. Downloaded some offline maps. The wifi is just a stubby wire in the back, reception is not great but I'm working on adding a real antenna.
Will have pics from the car in the morning...

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Pics!

zrickety

The Fixer
How are you liking that headunit? Does it work decent?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It's awesome! Very happy with it. It's basically a modified tablet. I've downloaded a number of apps, the GPS is perfect, Bluetooth is fast, and I've got a huge flash drive for movies and music. The wifi antenna is weak though, I have to basically park by the router but I do have an external antenna...I just need to take it apart again.

UberFast

Ready to race!
It's awesome! Very happy with it. It's basically a modified tablet. I've downloaded a number of apps, the GPS is perfect, Bluetooth is fast, and I've got a huge flash drive for movies and music. The wifi antenna is weak though, I have to basically park by the router but I do have an external antenna...I just need to take it apart again.
Sweet. How is the sound quality? Do you have dynaudio?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
I think it's a white color, I'll have to double check. I do not have dyna audio but I do have upgraded speakers. Coming from a Kenwood head unit, the sound quality is the same.

zrickety

The Fixer
Looks great! Any chance you could tell me what color the button backlighting is at night? Is it white or red like the stock head units?

I was wrong. Buttons are red, just a little lighter than the car buttons. This picture makes the difference look worse than it actually is.

TALON AE

Ready to race!
I was wrong. Buttons are red, just a little lighter than the car buttons. This picture makes the difference look worse than it actually is.

Rock on! Thanks for checking! I may have to give this a try!

zrickety

The Fixer
So I retired the gray ghost in 2019. My friend needed a car and I let him borrow it...TLDR he bought it from me and I took the broken 09 GTI on partial trade. And now the 2010 sits in his driveway after his wife wrecked it. I guess technically she reitred it, but he plans to resurrect it.

I'm going to transition this to my 09 build, it's all mk6 underneath anyway.
Golfmkv was always dominated by FSI cars.
https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index.php?threads/zrickety-2009-gti-bolt-on-thread.184347/

Winter 2019 - timing chain failure
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...and-then-balance-shafts-2-years-later.369736/

March 2022 - balance shaft failure
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...n-balance-shafts-2-years-later.369736/page-12

Mods installed-
HPA red puck
Whiteline LCA bushings
USP stage 2 intake, K-tuned velocity stack
Neuspeed throttle/charge pipe and turbo outlet
APR tune
Downpipe
HKS exhaust
Centric rotors
Tyrolsport brake caliper parts
Hawk pads
Unibrace XB, UB
iABED rear main seal
Bisteins
Eibach springs
Eibach sway bars
Enkei RPF1 15 lbs
Bridgestone Potenza RE71R
ARP head studs
Febi timing chain

Added this year-
Graf metal water pump
OEM thermostat
Denso radiator
Febi balance chain
Lubeck balance shafts
Wortec oil pan
Plaid shift boot

1661439834493.png

IMG_20220820_142729876_HDR.jpg

Brings us up to the present where I am trying to make clearance for the Wortec oil pan. It's a monster.
This existing hole worked great for oil changes with the oem pan. I'm trying to spoof the plastic belly cover now. #weightsavings

IMG_20220820_153743612_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I hacked off maybe a little more than I needed to, but the end result clears the Wortec pan. The skid lost 6.5 lbs in the process.

IMG_20220829_160526965_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220820_143057318_HDR.jpg

Last edited: