GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Group Buy: Apex ARC-8 Wheels

Are you interested in the Apex Wheel group buy?

• Total voters

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Proposed spec:
Apex ARC - 8
17x8.5 ET45
Weight: +/- 17.2 lbs
Tires:
Will accommodate -
245/255-40-17 R-Comp or Street Tire
225-40/45/17 Hoosier R/A7

https://www.apexraceparts.com/wheels/all-wheels/17x8-5-et40-apex-arc-8-wheel.html

The goal here is to generate enough interest and support from the MQB community, for Apex to produce a wheel for the Mk7 Golf platform. So, I am asking those who are seriously interested to sign up for this group buy.

The above wheel should accommodate a range of popular tire sizes for the track and offer a good overall fitment. Running a 17” tire allows slightly more aggressive width than 18” wheels to maximize mechanical grip. 17” tires are also a couple hundred dollars cheaper than equivalent 18” tires. Apex ARC 8’s is also BBK friendly.

Apex will conduct FEA stress analysis specific to the Mk7 platform weight and load requirements. Hub center will be specific to the Mk7GTi/MQB platform – no hub centric rings
These wheels are specifically designed for track use. The balance of strength over weight to produce a wheel that will handle the rigors of track work over bragging rights of who has the lightest wheel. Strong enough to hand track duty. Taking curbing to optimize lines around the track. Of all the wheels I did research on, these appear to be the most BBK friendly. They are very popular amongst the BMW track crowd. Let’s stand together and provide support to bring this to the VW community.

Group Buy List (10):
Mini7
Niol8R
SomeDude
Geokilla
BurgerKong
MyGolfMk7
Givemewins
Richard A
theDoktor
uberpolka

Attachments

• Apex ARC-8.jpg
    Apex ARC-8.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,418
Last edited:

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Doubt there will be enough interest for this platform. Not many people track their VW's vs the BMW and Porsche community.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Between Auto crossers and DE’s, this will make a great dedicated track wheel.

Let’s work on gathering support.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
pretty useless as autoX wheels though. Not stock width for Street class use for GTI or wide enough to take advantage of the STH allowance. And wrong diameter for Golf R for Street class...

At least in SCCA context, that is...

Last edited:

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I just bought a set of track wheels last week, otherwise I would be interested in these.

Not a lot of hubcentric 17x8.5 wheels for this car.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I just bought a set of track wheels last week, otherwise I would be interested in these.

Not a lot of hubcentric 17x8.5 wheels for this car.

If we can generate sufficient interest. Apex will design these from the ground up for the Mk7 platform.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Just a heads up, but not sure 17s would be a good idea. Lots of people run bigger brakes for track, so maybe stick to 18's?

Impartially, I'd be down for a set of apex hub centric goodness.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Just a heads up, but not sure 17s would be a good idea. Lots of people run bigger brakes for track, so maybe stick to 18's?

330/340 4-Piston BBK’s should clear without any spacers. This BBK should be more than adequate for most Track DE applications.

The question is whether we can get a the 350 6-Piston BBK’s to fit, which would be on the extreme end of brake applications. Talking to Apex, these wheels are designed with the track enthusiast in mind and are BBK friendly.

Tires are one of your highest consumable expenses on a track car. So being able to run 17” wheels that are BBK friendly allows you to save on track running costs. For lowered cars on 18” wheels and tires, you limit the max width of the tire you can run before you run into rubbing and clearance issues. Running a 17” wheel allows you to run a wider tire under these conditions. Increasing mechanical grip and reducing lap times.

Apex will expand the wheel options as long as there is interest and a market.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

I had Apex EC7 on another car. Finish was very good. Nice wheel.

As you and others note, 17s could be a tough sell for GTI...and they just won't look as good in higher VW offsets.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I'd be interested depending on the cost. Are they forged or flow formed? I'd daily drive it in the summer as well.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Would a 17x9 be a better option for the track?

255-40 NT01 or Yoko A052

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Not in the market right now but if I ever get serious about tracking these look like a great option for the reasons you mentioned. The 8.5 option would likely get more takers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I figured 8.5’s is a good middle ground. Wide enough for a 245 to 255-40-17 for 200tw and R-comps. And it will handle a 225 Hoosier.