GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GT or R-Line

David Kirkham

Hi,
I'm about to take my first step into Golf ownership, and with comfort over performance as a target I'm looking at the GT model. However the R-line model seems to be a GT but with a few sportier (though cosmetic) add ons.

I like the look of the R-Line, but hesitate to order as there are none in the showrooms. Would anyone know what the main real world differences are for the extra £2000 asked? The brochure waffles on about 'dynamic sills' and 'eye catching branding'!

Great forum by the way...access to a community of like minded drivers is always reassuring when moving into a new brand.

Thanks in advance
David K

vwman

Go Kart Champion
You are paying for cosmetic differences in the main ( listed on the VW website)

Different style of 17" inch alloys, bumper, sills, decorative inserts inside etc.

The colour choices on the R Line model are fewer than the GT.

I know its very much a personal thing - looks.

There can't be many around to go and look at I suspect but worth asking your dealer.

Somebody on here may have one and may oblige by posting some pics..

Last edited:

James75

Go Kart Champion
As the post above

You need to see one - I think they work less well in the UK because we don't have the european trim level names - so the R Line can appear a bit confusing in the line up.

That said, I quite like it, but for me, it would depend on price, I like the rarity of the R Line - if I could get a good price/discount I'd buy one.

James

Ian91

Ready to race!
GT or R line

I have the GT DSG and would probably suggest costing out the extras offered with the R line. If you require the comfort flexibility I would go For DCC chassis control, the Singapore alloys look good on the GT, I would say this as I've added these to my GT. Another option you may want is keyless which in my opinion is a must. Have you decided on the colour?

Dan2

The R line also has a sportier looking steering wheel as in the GTI, I think to me it would be a nicer place to sit.

David Kirkham

Thanks Guys,
I've yet to see a R-Line in the flesh so I'm unsettled about ordering one.
Interestingly, by the time I've specced one up with all the toys I'd like both the GT and the R-line are very similar in price, and then just a whisker away from the GTD.

I wonder if the GTD with Adaptive chassis would be a comfortable enough option?

I'm going for Limsestone grey in colour

Thanks
DK

James75

Go Kart Champion
I personally think the GTD offers much better value for money. That said, not everyone needs the GTD but with an average of 45 - 48 mpg for a tank of diesel (as indicated by the MFD) then for me, it's relatively inexpensive to run. I don't have the adaptive chassis option, I haven't found a problem with the ride personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colham

Ready to race!
Given a choice, I'd get another GTD over an R-Line. Are you just comparing RRPs, because once you've haggled or used a broker, the price of the GTD might well come closer to your reach.

Unfortunately, can't afford 2x GTDs at the moment, so its a 1.4 Match on order for me for now :( Next year maybe :cool:

vrod

Ready to race!
Was considering a GTD myself but due to my low daily mileage I went with a GTI PP instead... So if you choose a GTD, make sure you have a decent amount of miles to drive per day, otherwise you might kill the engine in the end with the short trips.

Wanderer

I have Dynamic Chassis Control on my GTi, and don't regret having added it.

I spend a lot of time in comfort setting where the ride is smooth, and it's great to have the three options.

Thedonkeycentrehalf

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Guys,
I've yet to see a R-Line in the flesh so I'm unsettled about ordering one.
Interestingly, by the time I've specced one up with all the toys I'd like both the GT and the R-line are very similar in price, and then just a whisker away from the GTD.

I wonder if the GTD with Adaptive chassis would be a comfortable enough option?

I'm going for Limsestone grey in colour

Thanks
DK

Need to remember that the GTD doesn't come with Nav as standard and has those horrible tartan seat covers!

Whatever you go for, I used CarWow to get a very nice discount on my new VW so it is worth giving them a try.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Need to remember that the GTD doesn't come with Nav as standard and has those horrible tartan seat covers!

Whatever you go for, I used CarWow to get a very nice discount on my new VW so it is worth giving them a try.

Not correct , the GTD includes Discover sat nav as standard together with Winter pack and Keyless from build week 22.

James75

Go Kart Champion
The problem in the UK that even with discounts - there's some daylight between GT and R line prices. The problem for the R Line that even with discounts it's always close to GTD prices and in that instance i would buy a GTD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lane One

Passed Driver's Ed
If the R-Line had been available when I ordered my GTD in Jan15 I would certainly have given it some consideration.

As for the ride comfort in the GTD, have you driven one? I only ask because if that is what is putting you off you might be suprised. I was really concerned about ride being that the GTD has sports suspension and 18" wheels. I had an Audi a4 S-line and the ride was appalling, but the GTD is very compliant on all but the very worst road surface.