GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GT-R failures, blown out of proportion?

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
I'd say they have been:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=140966?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

It was an unfortunate victim of web message boards and news sites where people will tend to only say something if something has gone wrong, not if something has gone right.

I mean, how many people here post about how well their car is doing as opposed to how something has gone wrong? Think about it. The high expectations of the GT-R and the publicity it got before and after it came out didn't help either in this situation.

To be honest, I'm a fan of the GT-R, and I think it's unfortunate that it's gotten a bad reputation because of a relatively small number of failures that were so widely reported.

Make sure you read the entire article, it offers some insights about the whole thing.

One of the more interesting facts is that a 600 horsepower GT-R did more than 100 launches before the transmission blew.

Ronan1

Ready to race!
Why install a feature in the car which encourages hard launches (much touted by the motoring press), Nissan knowing/admiting (if you read the owners manual) that it's use will cause failure, and then refuse to cover it under warranty.

The GTI has launch control, but it doesn't grenade the tranny, nor am I aware does its use void your warranty.

Its clearly intended as a Porsche whipping 0-60 feature, though the manuals claims its only for when your stuck in snow and mud.....

Its mis-guided placement in the GTR (is it really just for snow/mud, why call it 'lauch control', not 'get me outta this snow control') is just asking for trouble.

If it was your GTR they were refusing to fix after a few thousand miles and a blown tranny, damn right you'd be upset.

andrewjuma

I totally agree with both points of view. While on the one hand enthusiasts only ever report when something goes wrong with their cars, the model is brand new and they should not have put in a feature that ultimately destroys the transmission. I mean, the GTI, Porsche and a host of other manufacturers have some form of launch control and it works fine in their cars, so Nissan has failed on that point.

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
My only problem with the GT-R is that nissan was dumb as fu*k putting that feature in and not warrantying it. I am prett sure thats what most other people feel to. The car is amazing for what it is, but I am dumbfounded still that nissan did that.

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
As everyone has said, it was Nissan's fault......

They had an optional feature that they MARKETED, but to use it, you will potentially VOID your warranty. Wow, the logic behind that is incredible.

There is obviously a problem with the trans being able to withstand the STOCK power. Failures and a REVISION of their software to "increase drivability" (which translates to decrease Nissan's potential for costly warranty repairs, same goes for not covering the trans if VDC is turned off, and having a black box to see if it has been and under what conditions)

They are obviously changing the programming to deal with the litigation that is coming their way from an advertised feature, that will void their warranty. The article even said they are changeing it to be able to use launch control with VDC "ON" so you can use the feature, but not void the warranty.

As someone else said, this car was all smoke and mirrors from the beginning. It has an engine that makes 480hp in a 4k lb car, yet is faster than cars that have more hp and less weight............right. The engines are also not all making the same power, proven with dynos. They also fabbed up a unbelievable Nurburgring time that Porsche themselves couldn't match. Porsche bought a GTR, and tried to varify the claim, and they couldn't. They timed their "lap" from spots that would help their time, since there is no "controlled" start/stop point. It was indeed a car they "marketed" to beat Porsches. The flaky LC, power levels, Nring times etc are all completely rediculous.

But what did people expect from a company that makes the Versa..........

Its a poor mans supercar.

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
It is just like anything else, abuse a car and their might be problems.......It seems Nissan is dealing well with the concerns, imo.

phil

becausephilchow
x2

I mean, hey boost your VR6, or go K04, launch the car 100 time let see if our DSG hold up or not

Probably would probably hold up pretty well I would imagine.

But the point is, the GT-R's tranny was failing with STOCK POWER.

I could launch my GTI on Launch Control all day with the stock 200HP w/ the DSG, and I would probably be willing to bet, 100+ times, it'd still be fine. Might need some new fluid, but meh, that's about it.

Launching my DSG w/ a Stage 2+? Still probably right.

With a K04? I think it'd still be alright, there are plenty of DSGs that are running more than 320WHP, which is what a K04 makes. It gets tracked, and abused on the street, and on the track, and it holds up great.

I may be a bit biased, but hey, who isn't?

z4k

Passed Driver's Ed
They say when a Customer is happy they will tell ~3 people.
But when a Customer is upset they will tell at least 10. Now thanks to public forums that number skyrockets.

-------------

Also looks at Subaru, when you bought a new WRX they offer a FREE MEMBERSHIP to Rally Cross or WRC or SCCA Rally or one of them. But as soon as you enter your warranty will void.

You can't blame Nissan for people NOT reading the Owner/Operators Manual.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
You can't blame Nissan for people NOT reading the Owner/Operators Manual.

You are right - you just have to blame PEOPLE for foolishly buying one!

The point people are making though is that this car is stock, its failing STOCK...therefore should be repaired - if people buy cars with "fine print" of this magnitude, we are opening up a can of worms that will rival the Arm loan scams that put the world into a recession.

Just say no!