GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD IQ lights too low…..

VWG

Hi all

I am new here but got a question, I have a 2022 GTD love the car but the dipped IQ lights seem too low, these is no distance on the lights and they don’t pick up parked cars etc.

Full beam IQ is great but dipped is terrible.

Anybody else experienced this? Is there a way to manually adjust the just to raise up a little?

Thanks

VWG

Manually dipping so poorly lit roads are a nightmare.

Before I call the dealer I wondered if it’s a quick fix that I can resolve myself.

Thanks

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
If you set it to automatic (‘A’ showing in the main beam/dip indication light on the dash) the headlights show up the whole road apart from approaching vehicles or any that you follow. It a brilliant feature. I love the way it lights up both sides of the road but doesn’t light up vehicle you are meeting.If you meet something with very poor lights, like a bicycle or pedestrian, it’s then best to manually dip but otherwise leave it on automatic.

I accept that in towns with streetlights it tends to dip like you describe because with all the various lights around it ‘decides’ it’s probably best to go to a traditional dip. Sorry I don’t know if the dip beam can be raised. Somehow I doubt It.

Last edited:

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
When using automatic It's supposed to know when you are in an urban area and dip the lights automatically.
On roads with a central barrier though it won't see the lights of cars on the other side especially lorries and won't dip.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Yes, they can be raised manually using a 6mm Allen key and the adjustment screws on the lights, BUT, a scan tool is supposed to be used to put it in adjustment mode first in order to set the self levelling, this however is not actually necessary if only a small adjustment is made and the car is on level ground without a payload and the self levelling was previously set correctly, ideally with half a tank of fuel and the driver in the car, (but you can forego the driver part in this instance), it is EASY to get ‘lost’ as to what you’ve adjusted and screw the levels up though, only ever give a full or half turn of the screws if doing it manually like this, and count what turns you make so that you don’t get lost, and can go back to where you started if need be, first though you would need to research generic headlight adjustment processes yourself so you have an understanding of how things are done generally on any car, if you’re not confident get VW to do it, only use a generic garage if they fully understand how payload weight and the self levelling system can effect the outcome, if you’re going to take it to someone I’d stick with VW, particularly as you may get the adjustment done free if you use the supplying dealer and talk the right talk! Is your car lowered??

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Yes, they can be raised manually using a 6mm Allen key and the adjustment screws on the lights, BUT, a scan tool is supposed to be used to put it in adjustment mode first in order to set the self levelling, this however is not actually necessary if only a small adjustment is made and the car is on level ground without a payload and the self levelling was previously set correctly, ideally with half a tank of fuel and the driver in the car, (but you can forego the driver part in this instance), it is EASY to get ‘lost’ as to what you’ve adjusted and screw the levels up though, only ever give a full or half turn of the screws if doing it manually like this, and count what turns you make so that you don’t get lost, and can go back to where you started if need be, first though you would need to research generic headlight adjustment processes yourself so you have an understanding of how things are done generally on any car, if you’re not confident get VW to do it, only use a generic garage if they fully understand how payload weight and the self levelling system can effect the outcome, if you’re going to take it to someone I’d stick with VW, particularly as you may get the adjustment done free if you use the supplying dealer and talk the right talk! Is your car lowered??
Not a Golf and not IQ headlamps, but I adjusted the height of the LED headlamps on my 2020 Polo GTI+ shortly after I took delivery of the car as IMHO, the dipped beam height was dangerously low from the factory. I adjusted mine while the car was parked in my garage, and I stuck a piece of A4 paper on the garage wall in front of each headlight and marked the position on the paper where the bottom of the headlamp beam ‘hit’ as a reference point so I could check;
a) I was turning the adjustment screw in the right direction
b) how much the beam height changed.

On my car there are two adjustment screws for each headlight - one for sideways adjustment and the other for height (assume the Golf is the same?), so it’s important to identify the correct (height adjustment) screw before starting.

I used a screwdriver with interchangeable hex heads to do the adjustment (sorry, can’t remember the size of the hex head I used) and stuck a piece of masking tape around the screwdriver shaft and stuck a second piece beside the adjustment screw. Before I started adjusting, I marked each piece of tape with a pen, with the two marks lined up so I would know when I’d turned the adjustment screw exactly one full 360 degree turn (I had the headlights turned off while carrying out the adjustment).

After adjusting one full turn, I switched the headlamps on and checked the beam height had changed against the markers I’d stuck on the garage wall, and that the beam height change was the same for both headlamps. I then test drove the car after dark to check the degree of improvement and to ensure I wasn’t getting flashed by oncoming motorists (I wasn’t). Result was a significant improvement in beam throw, and no more driving ‘blind’ after dark 👍🙂.