GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI or R?

xacid

Passed Driver's Ed
Ever since my mk4 gti died I've been wanting to get back into one. Wish they were discounting the mk7's at the time I picked up my 15 Jetta but at the time the pricing was a bit off. About 25-26k for a Mk7 Golf spec'd the same as the Jetta I decided on. Money was an issue at the time or I would of scored the car then.

Now that money is not an issue and I'm nearly debt free I'm in the market for a GTI or possibly an R. The issue I'm having is the R worth the extra cost compared to the GTI? If I get the GTI will I regret it? If I get the R will I regret the larger payment compared to a GTI?

So far I've seen financing wise R's being at 41k vs a GTI SE easily at 26 some places.

Just very conflicting decision.

Any additional suggestions would be helpful. (Apologize cause I know this question occurs often)

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I just went through this similar thought process recently. I had never owned a GTI but owned two R32's and loved the AWD of it (although you can clearly tell its a FWD bias when you push the car). I drove the car in all conditions from snow driving to the race track and loved it.

My decisions were GTI Sport/SE versus Golf R. I prefer AWD to FWD hands down and would pay a premium for it as I have in the past. But after driving the GTI Sport with the LSD and Golf R brakes I decided a Golf R was simply not worth the premium for me. Those two items really sealed it. Said and done you are easily talking a $12k premium for the cars, not just the MSRP difference but dealers discount the R's much less.

I think the gap between the two cars in terms of performance has decreased since the MKVI yet the price premium has increased. Just my $0.02.

I bought a GTI Sport two weeks ago and love it. I do every now and then in a hard corner wish I had the Golf R, but to me it wasn't worth the cost. I'm sure I'll end up doing a couple suspension mods that will eventually make the GTI even better, will still never be a Golf R, but the better value for me.

Hope that helps.

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
When I see an R, I drool for its ability to put the power down.

Wish my new to me 2015 GTI S DSG had LSD. it's the only option I really desire.

IMO a GTI with LSD, is the best value performance wise.

BUT the R is very cool with its lowered stance,big brakes and quad pipes!

Heiko

Passed Driver's Ed
I went through the same thing last fall before finally deciding on the R. The GTI is a great car and as you said offers many of the same features. To me it came down to a few items. loved the AWD, the quad pipes and of course the added power but hated the fact that you cant get a bloody sunroof in a $40K car yet they offer it in Europe on every R sold - ticks me right off - oh well had to get over it and move on. The GTI isn't much slower and with a few mods it will easily keep up or surpass the R.... but add a few mods to the R and it becomes more fun as well. Overall I am very happy with my R... love the seats (very comfortable) and really like the DCC feature. Living in an area where we generally get a good snow fall every winter the R was my logical choice :) Did I mention I miss a sunroof - LOL
H

xacid

Passed Driver's Ed
I hate they got rid of the 35k R which was a great value imho.

I do like the added trim of the Sport but wish they had put in the fender audio package and to me it would be perfect. Then to go to the SE which gives the fender audio but you get leather which I'd rather have cloth from the sport.

Really hate VW's trims and lack of customizable options.

I do want all the options that R comes standard with like DCC and the like. Can only get that on SE or Audobhan.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Where do you drive? If good bit snow then consider R for daily driver.
If not snow, are you a boy racer?
If not, then a Sport GTI might be for you.
I suggest the PP as it helps much with FWD traction and the larger brakes are a plus.
LP is fun also and DCC is good for daily comfort if you are over 25, or will keep car long enough to be 25 one day.

xacid

Passed Driver's Ed
Where do you drive? If good bit snow then consider R for daily driver.
If not snow, are you a boy racer?
If not, then a Sport GTI might be for you.
I suggest the PP as it helps much with FWD traction and the larger brakes are a plus.
LP is fun also and DCC is good for daily comfort if you are over 25, or will keep car long enough to be 25 one day.

Snow happens here in south east PA but never has been an issue getting around. Sometimes having the piece of mind of AWD is nice but is it worth the extra 10k or so in cost.

I don't race my vehicle because I need it to get to and from work. No vehicle no cash for said vehicle.

When the Sport trim was released I said to myself that it was a great value. Then I saw the lack of driver assistance and fender audio which are two options I do want.

I'm in my early 30's and I'm planning on this next car to be my last for awhile.

Question: Is DCC worth it? I.E. those who have it do you play around with it for a bit then set and forget after awhile? Same with DAP as with DCC - do those who have it like it?

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Snow happens here in south east PA but never has been an issue getting around. Sometimes having the piece of mind of AWD is nice but is it worth the extra 10k or so in cost.

I don't race my vehicle because I need it to get to and from work. No vehicle no cash for said vehicle.

When the Sport trim was released I said to myself that it was a great value. Then I saw the lack of driver assistance and fender audio which are two options I do want.

I'm in my early 30's and I'm planning on this next car to be my last for awhile.

Question: Is DCC worth it? I.E. those who have it do you play around with it for a bit then set and forget after awhile? Same with DAP as with DCC - do those who have it like it?

If you are worried about not getting the Fender, the actual speakers are the same between models so if you get the GTI Sport, you can buy the Helix box which is now down to $250 and get an upgraded stereo that is OEM.

xacid

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are worried about not getting the Fender, the actual speakers are the same between models so if you get the GTI Sport, you can buy the Helix box which is now down to $250 and get an upgraded stereo that is OEM.

Do you know if the dealership installs that box? Wonder if I could work it into the deal for a sport if they do.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I think DCC is worth it.
I use comfort when wife is with me and on long interstate drives. Smooths out the road. The ride is never like a Cadillac for a performance car better. In Sport mode body roll is greatly reduced for curvy roads. On my drive to Chattanooga I drive in normal but for a high speed twisty down hill run I switch to Sport and back once thru. I use mine all the time. If time, read some of my build thread, link below, for my feeling on my car options.
To me it sounds like you want a fully loaded Autobahn. This is what I have in a 2015 model.
Cost was up close to the cheaper R at the time but you stated the lower R not an option.
We do not get a lot of snow, but the PP works well.
I lived in Wisconsin when younger so have history with snow. The PP will do well but never as much as the R.

xacid

Passed Driver's Ed
I think DCC is worth it.
I use comfort when wife is with me and on long interstate drives. Smooths out the road. The ride is never like a Cadillac for a performance car better. In Sport mode body roll is greatly reduced for curvy roads. On my drive to Chattanooga I drive in normal but for a high speed twisty down hill run I switch to Sport and back once thru. I use mine all the time. If time, read some of my build thread, link below, for my feeling on my car options.
To me it sounds like you want a fully loaded Autobahn. This is what I have in a 2015 model.
Cost was up close to the cheaper R at the time but you stated the lower R not an option.
We do not get a lot of snow, but the PP works well.
I lived in Wisconsin when younger so have history with snow. The PP will do well but never as much as the R.

I'd snag the low end R if they hadn't discontinued it.

Still wish the higher trims had the option for cloth seats - ugh.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I hate they got rid of the 35k R which was a great value imho.

I do like the added trim of the Sport but wish they had put in the fender audio package and to me it would be perfect. Then to go to the SE which gives the fender audio but you get leather which I'd rather have cloth from the sport.

Really hate VW's trims and lack of customizable options.

I do want all the options that R comes standard with like DCC and the like. Can only get that on SE or Audobhan.

Get Helix on a Sport model, better stereo than Fender for ~$500.

$250 for Helix, $250 for install. Programming is another story

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

I totally agree with you on that though, but like everyone else said....just add the $250 Helix box and you'll have better sound than the stock stereo for waaay less than jumping to SE trim
(I have no clue how it sounds compared to the Fender though)

Install it yourself (it's really not that hard--swap a couple wires & run the harness to the trunk), and then rent the programmer from someone on here for $35 or $20 -- there are two people renting it out now:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19829

xacid

Passed Driver's Ed
I totally agree with you on that though, but like everyone else said....just add the $250 Helix box and you'll have better sound than the stock stereo for waaay less than jumping to SE trim
(I have no clue how it sounds compared to the Fender though)

Install it yourself (it's really not that hard--swap a couple wires & run the harness to the trunk), and then rent the programmer from someone on here for $35 or $20 -- there are two people renting it out now:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19829

Anyone find a review of the Fender vs Helix? I've seen a few posts but nothing truly concrete on which is better. Helix does have you lose the spare which sucks.