GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**Gun Enthusiast Thread**

swcrow

Autocross Champion
It's a huge investment, that's for sure. My hood buddy had the entire setup.... Table, press, multiple caliber molds, primers, etc. It takes up 1/4 of his garage too. If you shoot a lot, it would be well worth it. I don't shoot quite enough to warrant it. My friend shoots almost at the competition level amount though.

I haven't gone that route simply because I don't shoot enough of one caliber to necessitate it. I'm about equal between .308, 5.56, .40 and 30-30..... But the ROI on the expenditure for all those different set ups wouldn't pay off for me.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I have easily $25K in firearms and reloading equipment. Easily.

Have about a 30' workbench just dedicated as a reloading space.

A reloading area needs to be dedicated space, extremely clean and well organized, etc.

It's a commitment, but you can achieve levels of precision that are simply astonishing if you dedicate yourself to it.

I used to be all about it, took precision rifle work to a pretty scientific level. Now I barely shoot.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
So I sure many of you are like me, and have a wish list. The never shortening and sometimes lengthening one. That one. But I found myself coming to grips with the reality that I don't get to take out what I have as much as I'd like as it is, why buy more?

My game plan is to just get more trigger time with what I have and spend the money on the ammunition, which isn't getting cheaper. Maybe some reloading equipment would be wiser then another firearm?

My wish list is actually dwindling. Like you mentioned, I have more than I actually shoot, and I tend to grab the same couple guns every time I go. My wish list is down to two--a 1911 for my 45th birthday, and a convertible Ruger Blackhawk in 357/9mm.

I'd love to get into reloading, but I just don't have the time. And I could probably buy a lot of ammo for the upfront costs of reloading equipment. I do save all my 38/357 brass though, because if I ever did decide to get into reloading, that would be where I'd start.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
My wish list is actually dwindling. Like you mentioned, I have more than I actually shoot, and I tend to grab the same couple guns every time I go. My wish list is down to two--a 1911 for my 45th birthday, and a convertible Ruger Blackhawk in 357/9mm.

I'd love to get into reloading, but I just don't have the time. And I could probably buy a lot of ammo for the upfront costs of reloading equipment. I do save all my 38/357 brass though, because if I ever did decide to get into reloading, that would be where I'd start.

The payback on reloading varies massively depending on the caliber(s).

Something like 9mm, the payback on a good press is about 20K rounds. Making pistol ammo in a timely fashion requires a good progressive press...which is a significant investment.

Precision rifle in a larger caliber, probably less than 1000 rounds to pay for a basic setup. A good case trimmer, scale, calipers, bullet comparator, priming tool, single stage press, match grade dies, etc.

It all adds up but when you save $1/round it pays off...plus you can achieve awesome precision if you have a good rifle. I have a few setups that will do 5-shot goups under 3/4" at 200 yards, or ring 10" steel at 1000+ yards with no issue (as long as the wind cooperates, that's where the science ends and the art begins).

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
So I sure many of you are like me, and have a wish list. The never shortening and sometimes lengthening one. That one. But I found myself coming to grips with the reality that I don't get to take out what I have as much as I'd like as it is, why buy more?

My game plan is to just get more trigger time with what I have and spend the money on the ammunition, which isn't getting cheaper. Maybe some reloading equipment would be wiser then another firearm?

My wish list is huge, but for now its limited to functional toys only - a gun I can actually carry for CCW, and a hunting rifle. I'm getting sick of borrowing guns from my late grandfather - even if the gun I use is an 8mm Mauser stamped with the Nazi War Eagle. Not sure where he acquired that rifle, but I bet it has a great story. I wish the old man was still around to tell it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
My wish list is huge, but for now its limited to functional toys only - a gun I can actually carry for CCW, and a hunting rifle. I'm getting sick of borrowing guns from my late grandfather - even if the gun I use is an 8mm Mauser stamped with the Nazi War Eagle. Not sure where he acquired that rifle, but I bet it has a great story. I wish the old man was still around to tell it.
You have the right priorities. Save up and get the basics first! I have the same though....WWII 3rd Army grandfather with Nazi war trophies, weapons and other stuff, but I was too young to get the stories [emoji19]

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
It's a huge investment, that's for sure. My hood buddy had the entire setup.... Table, press, multiple caliber molds, primers, etc. It takes up 1/4 of his garage too. If you shoot a lot, it would be well worth it. I don't shoot quite enough to warrant it. My friend shoots almost at the competition level amount though.

I haven't gone that route simply because I don't shoot enough of one caliber to necessitate it. I'm about equal between .308, 5.56, .40 and 30-30..... But the ROI on the expenditure for all those different set ups wouldn't pay off for me.
I am in the same situation...just looking to it as an addition to the hobby that can support the hobby. But, I certainly don't shoot enough to pay the investment off in short time. It would be years to pay off the equipment. But, I am sorta hoping to find some used equipment. I would be interested in .38spl, .357MAG, 7.92x57mm, .303Brit, and .300 Win Mag. Been saving the brass of those cartridges since I got them. Have juuuuust started to research reloading, so lots of it is foreign to me.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
That's were I am at, I am really narrowing down the scope of my 'wish list'. I am no longer buying anything that I am even remotely certain I may part with one day. If I am ok to part with it, it isn't worth the investment.

I have a 1937 K98k :) The best handling rifle I have ever shot. Perfect weight and length for me. Got it at 16 and I can honestly say I haven't fired a .22LR of mine since! Once you go full power, you don't look back!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
You have the right priorities. Save up and get the basics first! I have the same though....WWII 3rd Army grandfather with Nazi war trophies, weapons and other stuff, but I was too young to get the stories [emoji19]
I was lucky enough to take a cruise on a ship my grandfather served on with him, I was only 9, but I remember it vividly. They always go too soon. I wish he was still around so he could come hangout at the USS Cod with me...he would like that as would I.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

I unfortunately didn't think to ask until it was too late. My grandfather was very German but never in the military (that I know of) so I have no idea where he picked it up. I don't think his father was in the military either

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Thanks for sharing! Very cool. German steel is known for it's high cobalt content :D

What would be really cool is if they engraved or stamped it with the actual tank SN or end item number that it was made from!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Most of you probably don't know there's an effort to get an amendment to the FL constitution that would in effect ban semiautomatic shotguns and rifles. Unbeleiveably, if anti-gun crusaders get 800,000-some signatures on the petition it can be put on a statewide ballot, and if 60% of the voters vote yes, it becomes law in FL. I'll be looking at Texas homes soon...

Now, I just read where the Aurora shooter used a laser sight...