GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**Gun Enthusiast Thread**

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
BO forever. I know.

EDIT: @Charlotte.:R any sight recommends? Still newer to the world.

I'm running tru-glo tfx

You probably know this, but if you do snag SA mags, you'll need to swap out the mag release. The OE polymer release will get chewed up by the metal SA mags, and switching to a metal release will chew up the OE mags. It's kind of a one or the other type situation. Personally, I'm happy with 10+1 and a spare. There are a variety of +2 (and I think even a +3) extension.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
I generally tell people that sights are very much personal preference. Everybody's eyes/brains work a little differently when it comes to vision and sight acquisition.

I have Truglo TFO (TFX minus the bigger colored front ring) on an M&P Shield, and they're very bright during the day and still illuminated at night. However, one downside is that they're long and functionally make an already short sight radius even shorter. A longer sight radius generally enhances practical accuracy at distance. However, for realistic/common self defense distances, it probably doesn't matter for most people. If you want to show off at 25+ yards with your concealed carry pistol, or you have a rural property where you might want to plug coyotes, then you might want a sight that's better for distance work.

I'm not a fan of the Trijicon HD that used to come as the factory upgrade sight on Glocks. Front sight is a bit fat for distance work, and for some reason, I don't like U-notch rear sights. Also, for whatever reason, a lot of them are loose in the rear dovetails of Glocks and require loctite or peening. One other thing I've noticed with really big dot front sights is that a lot of people who don't practice regularly have a harder time not only looking at the front sight. Now, inside 7 yards, you put that dot center mass, you probably hit high thoracic cavity, which is what you want to stop somebody. Get past that, rounds start sailing even higher.

I also haven't like the XS sights I've dealt with. Fronts were loose enough to be put in without tools and required loctite/peening, the rears were oversized and had to be filed down to avoid risk of breaking the rear dovetails on the slides.

I don't really have an issue with the traditional night sights like the basic Glock night sights (made by Trijicon, IIRC), and my easy button recommendation these days are the various Ameriglo sights. They've got a wide variety of colors and styles; square front color, round front color, traditional green/white dots, blacked out rear, I-dot rear, etc. With that selection (especially for Glocks), you can probably find something to your liking. Unless you want Tritium/fiber optic combo. Then you go with Truglo.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
I'm running tru-glo tfx

You probably know this, but if you do snag SA mags, you'll need to swap out the mag release. The OE polymer release will get chewed up by the metal SA mags, and switching to a metal release will chew up the OE mags. It's kind of a one or the other type situation. Personally, I'm happy with 10+1 and a spare. There are a variety of +2 (and I think even a +3) extension.
x2 for tru-glo on my Shields....

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
I'm running tru-glo tfx

👍

Actually, honestly, I did not... so thank you. I was just digging into that topic but didn't go too far once I hit the perpetual backorder. I have zero issue with 10+1, honestly.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
I don't often go shooting, but when I do, I meet our friendly instructor/Arizona Ranger badass at the OK Corral, then go shooting in the hills above Tombstone. Could there be a better place anywhere to practice shooting than Tombstone??

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0305.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

wario406

Ready to race!
Does anyone carry a FN 509 compact? Thinking about switching from my daily P365. Nothing wrong with the sig, love it actually, just looking to switch it up.
I do. Awesome gun... I also EDC a Sig P938 when I need a skinny gun. You’ll love the 509C. Get the Apex striker before the factory one breaks and leaves you stranded.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Pics to come tomorrow, but my son and I got some new ones. First up the son got a maverick 88 with folding stock and 28" barrel. Good, cheap, reliable gun for his first one. (He turned 15, and this is his first real gun)
Up next I finally bit the bullet (hehe) and got an ar15. This is the F1 FU KING ar15. Stainless barrel (16") with 15" m_lock hand guard. I added a 30rnd mag and a cheap optic for now, but will be upgrading soon.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Pics to come tomorrow, but my son and I got some new ones. First up the son got a maverick 88 with folding stock and 28" barrel. Good, cheap, reliable gun for his first one. (He turned 15, and this is his first real gun)
Up next I finally bit the bullet (hehe) and got an ar15. This is the F1 FU KING ar15. Stainless barrel (16") with 15" m_lock hand guard. I added a 30rnd mag and a cheap optic for now, but will be upgrading soon.
Pics or it didn’t happen!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Obligatory pics!!!

Attachments

• 20210305_175850.jpg
    20210305_175850.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 150
  • 20210305_175941.jpg
    20210305_175941.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 142

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Anyone try a conversion barrel in their Glock? I have a Glock 23 that's a .40. Its the only .40 I have. The others are 9mm. With the ammo prices the way they are...I figure it would just be easier to use one caliber at the range. My local range doesn't even have reloads in .40.

I'd get a conversion barrel and a couple G19 mags. Would I also need an extractor too? That seems to be 50/50 from the stuff I've read.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Maverick 88 was my first every shotgun, not my first gun, but hey still a first! lol I still have it but it's vanilla, no sexy stock like that. Been thinking about selling it since I got the AR12 VR80 the 88 doesn't seem all that usefull but it was also so cheap not really worth it, probably could barely trade it for a box of ammo now. :)

wario406

Ready to race!
Anyone try a conversion barrel in their Glock? I have a Glock 23 that's a .40. Its the only .40 I have. The others are 9mm. With the ammo prices the way they are...I figure it would just be easier to use one caliber at the range. My local range doesn't even have reloads in .40.

I'd get a conversion barrel and a couple G19 mags. Would I also need an extractor too? That seems to be 50/50 from the stuff I've read.
I dont think you need to change extractors... I know lots of people who swap 9mm/40 cal barrels. I dont think you need to swap mags - but, it's probably not a bad idea.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion

my dad has a lone wolf conversion barrel for his 23 and it works flawlessly. As mentioned you can run 9mm through.40 mags, but I wouldn’t do it in a defensive situation.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Got it down to 30sec a round.

8684B0BC-E9EF-4B4E-B762-4F71BB4227CA.jpeg

started tonight with 100 annealed and sized brass. The last time this brass was shot it was raining. Ammo was wet so pressures were too high. Went to prime the brass and the pockets were loose. Like push the primer in with a finger loose.

about 9 years ago I was shooting a ton through my M14, so I bought a RCBS primer pocket swage to decrimp NATO brass. Stopped loading it and the kit went on the shelf.

Tonight I learned you can easily tighten up primer pockets with the damn thing. Pretty damn happy I don’t need to toss out hundreds of dollars in Lapua brass.