GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Harmon Kardon Install/Retrofit

Es Peso

Does anyone know if you can buy and install the HK sound system in the Mk8 GTI. I bought one with the HK delete and I would like to add it. Also, if that is not an option does anyone have any good systems to improve the stock sound system?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Don’t know if it’s possible. However, with supplier and semiconductor issues meaning a general shortage of HK parts / components for new car builds in the factory, I dare say priority will be given to HK factory installations (i.e. cars being built where owners specified HK when ordering their cars). Therefore, you could be in for a long wait in finding the parts to retro-fit the HK system in your car.

andyDncn

HI there I am in the process of doing this retrofit and am just waiting to finish the job with coding.
it is really faffy to do the wiring!
other options are to just upgrade the speakers to Focals which are just plug and play
next option is still focals but an under seat sub
final option is the panasonic amp in the bootlining with the full HK system but the subwoofer is rubbish - lots of owners who ordered the HK system put that in the bin and upgraded it.
other words of caution - the HK system involves putting tweeters in the rear door cards - this is a real pig of a job if you want to use your existing ones as you have to cut apertures in the fabric cover that sits above the handle. You can't just buy a panel if you want the predrilled one - you have to go for the whole door card @£300 per pop!

Last edited:
Reactions: tos

tos

Go Kart Newbie
I change the sub to Fender one, and some polyfoam into it.
It generates about 2dB more bass. Clinically tested by my phone :D

tos

Go Kart Newbie
The difference of the H/K and fender is huge
H/K

Fender

AndyD

HI there I am in the process of doing this retrofit and am just waiting to finish the job with coding.
it is really faffy to do the wiring!
other options are to just upgrade the speakers to Focals which are just plug and play
next option is still focals but an under seat sub
final option is the panasonic amp in the bootlining with the full HK system but the subwoofer is rubbish - lots of owners who ordered the HK system put that in the bin and upgraded it.
other words of caution - the HK system involves putting tweeters in the rear door cards - this is a real pig of a job if you want to use your existing ones as you have to cut apertures in the fabric cover that sits above the handle. You can't just buy a panel if you want the predrilled one - you have to go for the whole door card @£300 per pop!
By way of an update I have fitted the HK speakers and Panasonic amp but the infotainment system hasn’t recognised the new kit. Coding didnt work either so it looks like I need a data set to be uploaded first. I thought the car would have all the files ready to be activated but that is not the case on my car as HK was never an option on the gte.

tos

Go Kart Newbie
By way of an update I have fitted the HK speakers and Panasonic amp but the infotainment system hasn’t recognised the new kit. Coding didnt work either so it looks like I need a data set to be uploaded first. I thought the car would have all the files ready to be activated but that is not the case on my car as HK was never an option on the gte.
If you want, I can send obd eleven backup log (about 1 megabyte), for check differences.

I have problem with the amp, sometimes it will not work at all. OBD11 will not connect it.
It works again when let car sleep more than 24min.

AndyD

If you want, I can send obd eleven backup log (about 1 megabyte), for check differences.

I have problem with the amp, sometimes it will not work at all. OBD11 will not connect it.
It works again when let car sleep more than 24min.
That would be really helpful thank you. A big file so WeTransfer or Dropbox maybe?