GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heating and air conditioning issues.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I usually don’t bother with heating and air conditioning at this time of year (which improves electric range - sad, I know) and I leave it turned off. Recently when I get in the car, press the start button, I find that it turns back on with both the fan and air conditioning immediately start to work. It didn’t used to do this. Why doesn’t it remain set where it was on the previous journey? Any ideas.

On the same subject. I went to the car as it had just or about to finish charging only to find that the heating and air conditioning were working. I don’t know why this should be since I have no times set for any form of pre heating or air conditioning. Very strange.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
This is also happening with me , it is so annoying... and also since the 1668 update my heated steering wheel goes on when i start the car, even with the setting disabled in the climate menu.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Massimo,
It appears that as soon as I open the door I can hear the fan working. I press the start button and, eventually, press and open the ‘climate screen display’ button to find both the fan and air conditioning are indicating that they are on. This is despite that fact that on my previous journey everything had been turned off. Why does it not default to the previous setting.? Didn’t do this before. Bloody annoying. Yet another thing to do as well as turning off the bloody lane assist. Could there have been a overnight software update that made these changes since the car hasn’t been to the dealers recently for them to do a update.
I guess this is very much a eHybrid/GTE issue.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I talked to VW about the Heated steering wheel and automatic air circulation settings not memorising their last settings. It seems I am not the first to have this problem... This is a software bug because I did not have this problem in 1666.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
l still have 1664! On the same window there is ‘Update Software‘ and ‘Online Download’. What would happen if I tap either of these?
I’m convinced that the issue of failing to remember the last settings was a so-called software update that was carried out through the car’s connection to the internet.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Well I have the latest 1668, a newer 167x should be coming soon.
Forget about the Online download function, it just spins indefinitely. The Online updates arrive automatically and you will be notified most times to start the update.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I have zero confidence in my VW dealer. I phoned them about the climate control failing to memorise the previous setting and I felt that they thought I was talking about soft furnishings.
Massimo, if you could let me know when 167x is available I can then contact them to have it installed and also mention the climate control issue. I wish to reduce my visits to them to an absolute minimum.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I think there must be someone who lives in my car who buggers about with the climate controls.

1. If I turn off the climate control when I park the car, when I return to it (to go on another journey) as soon as I touch the door handle the Auto and the A/C immediately starts to work.

2. If I DON’T turn off the climate control when parking, the Auto and A/C will continues to run after locking the car. For how long - no idea, possibly indefinitely (I wish to point out that I have a GTE so the Auto and A/C can operate because it can be powered by the High Voltage battery).

Oh! Now the WeConnect is longer working.

Great car, crap software.

Last edited:

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Number 1 happens to me too.. and i have the settings disabled in the climate menu’ .. dont know what else to do…
Number 2: with aircon on as soon as i switch off the ignition the aircon goes off too. If i then switch the aircon on and lock the car it stays on until it reaches the temperature (syncs with weconnect air conditioning).
You need a specialized engineer to understand how these things work😂😂

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Number 1 happens to me too.. and i have the settings disabled in the climate menu’ .. dont know what else to do…
Number 2: with aircon on as soon as i switch off the ignition the aircon goes off too. If i then switch the aircon on and lock the car it stays on until it reaches the temperature (syncs with weconnect air conditioning).
You need a specialized engineer to understand how these things work😂😂

On the plus side I have now got the WeConnect to work. I removed the App from my iPhone and downloaded it again. Like most computery things, turning it off and back on again often sorts issues. Perhaps if I disconnect the 12v battery and connect again all my car problems will be sorted - only joking, I guess if I did that the car would never start again.

Interestingly I have discovered that WeConnect makes up 36% of my iPhone’s battery use!

I think every VW dealer should employ a 10 year old to sort out the Golf Mk8 software issues 🤔.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Well i actually know of 5 people that disconnected and reconnected their battery after a few minutes and everything was working great , thats because the telematic unit gets restarted just like you restart windows👍

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
This is also happening with me , it is so annoying... and also since the 1668 update my heated steering wheel goes on when i start the car, even with the setting disabled in the climate menu.
I also had this steering wheel heating issue. I found that if you tap the steering wheel heating button on the steering wheel until ‘off‘ appears, keep pressing the button until the window on the dash saying ‘off’ goes out.

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanted to follow up here. Air recirculation always resets to off to prevent mold build up in the vents.

I know it works better on extremely hot and humid days. This happens on other cars as well