GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP!- MK5 VW GTI no start after HPFP and Intake cam replaced

VolkswagenGTI

Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTI
Hey there, hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. The car is a 2007 GTI 2.0L Turbo.
It came to me not running properly and had a code for P0299 - underboost. Thought it may need the updated diverter valve so we put a new one in. Later the car started to run worse but was still being driven almost daily with low power. Then it came to me with very low power and was running poorly/stalling out. Seemed like it was in limp mode (wouldn't rev past 2500-3000 RPM). Suspected High pressure fuel pump and pulled it out to take a look. The follower which rides on the intake camshaft came out in pieces and the end of the fuel pump didn't look great as it was riding on the lobes of the camshaft. Replaced the HPFP and follower. Still ran like shit so it was brought to a VW dealer who said they suspected the camshaft itself. So we replaced that following all the correct steps on ALLDATA and buying the tools to do the job properly including the camshaft holder, etc. Now the car wont start. Rechecked and verified timing multiple times. Checked for flow coming from the transfer pump in the tank and the volume seems to be good - haven't checked pressures yet. Today I went out and did a compression test and I have 90PSI on cylinders 1 and 4 that bleeds off right away and pretty much no compression on holes 2 and 3 (the gauge goes to 30 and then drops off)... seems to point to a timing issue? Right now I have the valve cover back off as I wanted to see if anything obvious showed up or the chain wasn't put on properly but I cant seem to find anything wrong. Not sure where to go next. I have a scanner that won't do functionality tests on this car and no VAG-COM. PLEASE HELP

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
If low compression were due to cam timing....you would have damaged valves due to the timing being too far off and allowing valves to be open still when pistons are at their upper limit of their stroke.

You should recheck the timing marks; front...then the back. Fix if needed, and redo the compression test. If low, then it may have damaged/bent the valves or it has piston damage. Maybe both.

doc280

Ready to race!
If low compression were due to cam timing....you would have damaged valves due to the timing being too far off and allowing valves to be open still when pistons are at their upper limit of their stroke.

I could be wrong, because I can not find it now, however I thought being one tooth off would not cause an impact, but would cause a non-compression issue? Either way check the timing of the chain.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I could be wrong, because I can not find it now, however I thought being one tooth off would not cause an impact, but would cause a non-compression issue? Either way check the timing of the chain.
I agree (y) as I too have heard one tooth = no damage and possibly no shortage of compression.
This is why I said "...timing being too far off...", because it would need to be too far off to have caused damage resulting in the compression issues.