GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Henry Rugs Accident - I Don't Believe One of the "Facts".

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I can believe his BAL was .161. I DON'T believe he was doing 156 MPH when he ran into the back of the RAV4. There would have been nothing left of his Corvette or him. What do you think? As an example, there was a late model Corvette involved in an accident around here a few years ago. The driver was only doing about 90 when he slammed into another vehicle. Killed him outright.

Cops Say Raiders’ Henry Ruggs Screamed at Them After Deadly Drunken Crash (msn.com)

JC_451

Autocross Champion
He was doing 127 when he hit her.

Her car was also pushed 570 feet so that absorbed a tremendous amount of the crash energy. If her vehicle was heavier or she was standing on the brakes the Vette would have absorbed more of the damage itself.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Poor reporting, not surprised. I never saw pictures from the accident but I assumed it was a C7 based on his (former) salary.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I once read where if you have an accident while committing a crime your insurance doesn't pay. I should read my policy to see if it states that.

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
So insurance wouldn't pay out anytime a driver was speeding?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
It was for sure a C8 model and I thought the other one looked like a Prius. I didn't see any report of if the other car was moving or how fast. The C8 for sure has a performance data recorder/more advanced electronics. I imagine if it was a hybrid that would have contributed to the fire ball.

Athletes have died in accidents like this before. The cars just keep getting faster and faster and there is no additional driver training. Just having a basic license isn't enough to know how to handle a car that can do a sub 10/11/12 second quarter mile.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
I would think that his insurance carrier probably can deny him coverage. I'm not sure if that's true but it does seem logical.

I found a picture.

download (1).jpeg

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Her car was a RAV 4, I also thought it was a Prius when I first saw the pictures though.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I got hit by a drunk driver, I have no sympathy for them. He should rot in jail for the rest of his life.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Don't forget how low the nose of a C8 is, that likely changed the damage from the crash. Reports said he was going 156mph just 2.5 seconds before impact and airbags deployed at 127mph. Still really fast but a 30mph difference is substantial.

I have zero sympathy for this guy. I saw another report that he was at Top Golf previously and "had 18 shots" before he left. Ugh

KevinC

Autocross Champion
I scoffed at the numbers at first too, but then realized that he hit a MOVING car, from behind. I don't know how physics affects the severity of the impact, but if that car was doing, say 45, when he hit it - how much does that "soften" the blow? I have a feeling it's more than just subtracting 45 from his airbag deploy speed, but I have no idea if that's true or not.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
It was for sure a C8 model and I thought the other one looked like a Prius. I didn't see any report of if the other car was moving or how fast. The C8 for sure has a performance data recorder/more advanced electronics. I imagine if it was a hybrid that would have contributed to the fire ball.

Athletes have died in accidents like this before. The cars just keep getting faster and faster and there is no additional driver training. Just having a basic license isn't enough to know how to handle a car that can do a sub 10/11/12 second quarter mile.
Cars get faster, but pro athletes are still dumb. Their fans are even worse

The Dude

Autocross Champion
I scoffed at the numbers at first too, but then realized that he hit a MOVING car, from behind. I don't know how physics affects the severity of the impact, but if that car was doing, say 45, when he hit it - how much does that "soften" the blow? I have a feeling it's more than just subtracting 45 from his airbag deploy speed, but I have no idea if that's true or not.
No, you're right, it's that simple assuming the paths of travel are colinear.