GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do I install HID's into replica headlights??

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Please don't just say search.. I did and can not find what I am looking for..

Is there a DIY for installing HID's into after market rep. headlights on mk6 gti? I bought helix depo replica headlights. I found a video on removing front bumper and removing headlights; which is great because I can now swap the headlights. However I would like something that shows me how to hook up HID's to the car..
Does anyone know of a DIY or a link that could help me. Any tips, pics or advice? I really don't wanna pay a shop to do this..

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Dose put up HID installation instructions on his site for these - and also in his thread. Go check them out.
Here is the link. It's at the bottom of this page - OPD HID Installation Notes

You will also need to refer to your hid kit installation guide

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Dose put up HID installation instructions on his site for these - and also in his thread. Go check them out.
Here is the link. It's at the bottom of this page - OPD HID Installation Notes

You will also need to refer to your hid kit installation guide

Yes I saw this and it me helps with installing actual bulbs to headlights but I am asking how to hook up ballasts to the car and the headlights.. I do not want to mess up the ballasts or the cars electrical.. I bought 35 watt morimoto ballasts and h7 5000k bulbs from the retrofit source..

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
What you mean?
That guide shows you where to place the ballasts in the headlight. The cars headlight connector goes into the headlight connector block and there should be two pins that would normally go to the bulb. They would now go to your ballast kit instead and it has the connection that plugs into your xenon bulb which he guide shows you how to fit into the headlight.
There is nothing more to it. The guide has it all and the above may vary slightly with different ballast kits.
I just re-read it and it's all there.
You need to check your ballast kit instructions on how to piece it together too.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
What you mean?
That guide shows you where to place the ballasts in the headlight. The cars headlight connector goes into the headlight connector block and there should be two pins that would normally go to the bulb. They would now go to your ballast kit instead and it has the connection that plugs into your xenon bulb which he guide shows you how to fit into the headlight.
There is nothing more to it. The guide has it all and the above may vary slightly with different ballast kits.
I just re-read it and it's all there.
You need to check your ballast kit instructions on how to piece it together too.

Thanks a lot... I thought the ballast had to connected to the vehicle by way of the relay kit as well? The ballast doesn't get connected to the car? I plug the oem headlight harness it to ballast? Im a lil confused and a noob when it comes to HID's obviously..

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
No. Car harness headlight connector goes into the connector on the headlight. The ballast and it's wiring is basically inserted inbetween the connection of the h7 bulb and the internal headlight wiring.
Just look at the connectors on the car, headlight and the ballast kit. Match them up.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
No. Car harness headlight connector goes into the connector on the headlight. The ballast and it's wiring is basically inserted inbetween the connection of the h7 bulb and the internal headlight wiring.
Just look at the connectors on the car, headlight and the ballast kit. Match them up.

Ok yes that makes sense now.. Pretty self explanatory.. I can figure it out once I am in there.. Thanks you helped me tremendously!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Sure. Good luck with it. They are a great upgrade.

You should do all this fully with the headlight before you go near the car. Prepare it beforehand. Be hard trying this whilst on the car.
Then you will just have to plug in the headlight harness connector.
Be careful with pulling out the side section of the bumper. You also don't need to take the bumper off or go near the screws at the bottom.
Just take the grill off (that takes some force - be careful) and the two screws behind it and the four or five screws up the side of the wheel arc for the bumper. Then pull the bumper top full out and off just a bit and there will be enough room to swap the headlights.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Sure. Good luck with it. They are a great upgrade.

You should do all this fully with the headlight before you go near the car. Prepare it beforehand. Be hard trying this whilst on the car.
Then you will just have to plug in the headlight harness connector.
Be careful with pulling out the side section of the bumper. You also don't need to take the bumper off or go near the screws at the bottom.
Just take the grill off (that takes some force - be careful) and the two screws behind it and the four or five screws up the side of the wheel arc for the bumper. Then pull the bumper top full out and off just a bit and there will be enough room to swap the headlights.

Thanks again.. A huge help!! I'll post pics once I install..

OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
Thanks again.. A huge help!! I'll post pics once I install..

xd is always coming through. Hope you got the HID's in, let me know if you need any help.

A lot of people get sold on the relay harness but it isn't needed. Let me know if there are any issues. Most folks use a Can Bus Cancellor (plugs inline or is built into ballast) and they work fine. My car required one coding tweak and I can use regular ballast.

I had to turn of Bulb Extender with Vag Com.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
xd is always coming through. Hope you got the HID's in, let me know if you need any help.

A lot of people get sold on the relay harness but it isn't needed. Let me know if there are any issues. Most folks use a Can Bus Cancellor (plugs inline or is built into ballast) and they work fine. My car required one coding tweak and I can use regular ballast.

I had to turn of Bulb Extender with Vag Com.

i haven't gotten around to installing since i made this thread. i live in nyc and the weather has been terrible, keeps snowing and freezing cold temps. no garage either. i am waiting for a half way decent day to do this.

also i did not buy a can bus ballast. i bought a reg. one with a relay kit. will i def. get errors when i install these? should have i gotten the can bus version? i def. dont want error lights from these.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Came across this picture from searching.. What do i do with the red and black prongs that are circled in black. Basically thought i figured this out now im like huh whats that??

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
They are the connections that go into the wiring inside the headlight. Everything else connectors together, per the picture, as part of the hid kit. The red and black pins are the connection into the headlight wiring that normally goes to the halogen bulb.
I would think they go into the headlight plug shown on page 2 of Dose's instructions (linked in previous posts).

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
It's safer to use the wiring harness from TRS but it's much easier to wire without it. I also was unable to get rid of a bulb out error until I skipped the harness. I'm actually doing the same thing as you and will hopefully be installing them next week.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk