GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how often do u replace the cam follower ?

kakluote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi TT K04
how often do u replace the cam follower ?

30K Miles?

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
My first one went out around 55k miles and was replaced under warranty along with the pump and cam shaft. I didn't bother messing with it again until a few weeks ago at 110k miles and it honestly didn't look that bad. The DLC was worn but it wasn't deformed or anything. I replaced it anyway but probably didn't need to.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
This depends on two factors. The pressure your tune is requesting and the revision of your cam.

Early rev cam= wears faster
tuned= wears faster

As a few above, I check every oil change (5k miles). I replace every other oil change (10k). Never seen much more than DLC worn. Pics in my sig.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
I just replaced mine at 70k... Looked amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danman132x

Ready to race!
I've had my car 38000 miles now ( at 97000 currently) and replaced it 4 times. Probably being overcautious though. Still was black each time, with just the middle silver some. I see it like, if I have it off, might as well change it, especially with the banjo fitting.

kakluote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi TT K04
mine is 30K now,

so i need to replace asap...,too risky

ToucanLife

Ready to race!
Replace it when it gets a hole in it or my APR hpfp blows up - one or the other

kishmack92

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 VW GTi Black
I had my camshaft and cam follower replaced under warranty at ~53k. I just changed my oil at ~58k and this is what mine looks like.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415574824.787495.jpg

Quite a bit of wear for only ~5k miles. I will be changing mine every 10k. It's really such an easy thing to check/replace I view it as a preventative maintenance thing. Not super expensive at $50 a pop.

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
I think people are overly cautious with these things and ultimately end up wasting money. It's like a 3000 mile oil change. Get some calipers and see what the thickness of the metal is. Compare that to new spec and make an actual determination based on fact. Mine didn't look much different than ^^^^ and it had over 50k on it, on a Stage 2 APR tune. 5k, and even 10k seems excessive. I get the whole, $50 is cheaper that replacing your engine but come on....at some point it gets ridiculous! I'll also give you the argument that each car is different and each follower will wear differently. Which is exactly why you should put calipers on it and check it every 5-10k, or with each oil change. When it's more than a reasonable degree out of new spec then replace it. Otherwise it's just money down the drain.

kishmack92

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 VW GTi Black
I think people are overly cautious with these things and ultimately end up wasting money. It's like a 3000 mile oil change. Get some calipers and see what the thickness of the metal is. Compare that to new spec and make an actual determination based on fact. Mine didn't look much different than ^^^^ and it had over 50k on it, on a Stage 2 APR tune. 5k, and even 10k seems excessive. I get the whole, $50 is cheaper that replacing your engine but come on....at some point it gets ridiculous! I'll also give you the argument that each car is different and each follower will wear differently. Which is exactly why you should put calipers on it and check it every 5-10k, or with each oil change. When it's more than a reasonable degree out of new spec then replace it. Otherwise it's just money down the drain.

Everybody's car is different in severity of the wear. For comparison this is a photo of mine when I had my camshaft replaced.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415629585.243207.jpg

This is after 52k miles. I could visibly see wear on the camshaft lobe. Like I said, every case is different. I will never let it go 50k. I would rather spend $50 every ~5 months than have to pay $2,500 down the road for a new camshaft.