GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to install Schroth Quick Fit Pro in a MK7 GTI

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Before we begin please heed the following warning:

This installation requires modifying the mounting bracket that connects to the driver seat’s lap belt anchoring point. A small amount of material must be removed in order for the anchoring bolt to fit. This is not approved by Schroth. Modify at your own risk.

The first thing you need to do is slightly enlarge the hole through which the driver seat lap belt anchoring bolt will pass through. The bolt is 14mm. I accomplished this using a small Makita drill, a 9/16” drill bit, a C clamp and a table. Nothing too fancy. Clamp the harness down, drill through, and use a dremel or file to clean up the edges/inside.

Before:
78820D7B-C86C-460C-A456-495B1851500F.jpeg

Drill:
7ABE6691-A958-49EA-90B3-1B3414D8657A.jpeg

After:
FF515F22-06CB-40D8-BE89-569D1A377225.jpeg

NOTE: you only need to modify the harness bracket for the driver’s lap belt connection, the hole for the rear connection is large enough. I did both because I did not check the rear before seeing the front bolt was too large, however the rear bolt is slightly smaller and should fit through without issue.

Once that is done you are ready to install. Lift up the rear bench seats by pulling straight up from the center of each driver and passenger side seat. I used a tool case to hold the bench up, however alternatively you can remove the rear seats entirely. In retrospect it is probably easier to remove the entire seat.

6F6F7E9C-BEF8-40A6-A14C-7356C5FA6E7F.jpeg

First, pop out the small plastic screw holding the plastic trim piece in place. It pops up with a flathead screwdriver. Careful as it may go flying. Next, pull up on the black plastic trim alongside the rear and front door sill. It should pop out fairly easily. It is all one continuous piece the extends from front to rear. Lift this up and out of the way, however be careful not to overextend the white wiring strip connected to the harness that runs along the door sill. I lifted the trim piece up and rested it on the drivers headrest. (In pic below screw and trim piece is already removed, just showing location).

D98FBE27-9857-48B3-A020-66478283789B.jpeg
5D636906-E5EB-40AD-BB07-31C9F6F0126D.jpeg
2E99D62B-DC10-490B-907E-458E0342AABF.jpeg

Next, start by removing the bolt that anchors the drivers lap belt to the car. It is an M10 triple square.
CAAF88AE-418F-48C8-B190-648C9C1908F1.jpeg

Part 2 next..

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Part 2:

You will then need to bend the harness bracket to match the OEM bracket. Schroth notes in their fitment guide this is OK to do. You need to turn it so that the holes align and sit flush with each other, and the harness belt follows the same path as the OEM belt. After that is done, reinstall with the harness bracket on top of the OEM bracket and torque the anchoring bolt to 30ft lbs. Don’t reinstall trim yet.

AB90809F-5DD5-4794-88D1-09432965C7A1.jpeg

9DF39ABB-1671-45F8-B60B-793C26F8C4CC.jpeg
12823577-9B3E-4C2E-B82B-5458AFA8634B.jpeg

The process for the rear is similar. The rear bolt is located fairly deep behind the trim piece so it can be difficult to access, however I was able to get my 1/4” ratchet in their with some maneuvering. In the photo I have already loosened the anchoring bolt. It is also a M10 triple square.

A8326BBA-8F38-45E0-AA1E-68C81F593444.jpeg

You will again need to bend the harness bracket to match the angle of the OEM bracket. This bend needs to be about 90 degrees, as close to the hole as possible.

3AD15BEF-C068-4195-89B2-806ACFA8CFD2.jpeg

Again, reinstall with the harness bracket on top of the OEM bracket, matching the direction so the belt can follow the OEM belt, and torque the anchoring bolt to 30ft lbs.

After that, you are done! Push in the trim pieces along the door sills. Pull towards you, then push down. It will click in and should sit flush against the carpet. You can now install the Schroth harness as usual and adjust to your specifications. For instructions on how to properly adjust the harness please see the fitment guide on Schroths website.

215E5E9C-5143-4FDC-A903-3A8E86524C20.jpeg

9738F7BF-1A45-4047-A0D6-F90CA7C5CF96.jpeg

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Nice writeup !

I bought the Takata Drift 3 (which is also made by Schroth), and after installing the eyelets in the back, I just ended up using the child hooks in the rear for the car seats. It's much easier and it's definitely just as safe, if even more so.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Nice writeup !

I bought the Takata Drift 3 (which is also made by Schroth), and after installing the eyelets in the back, I just ended up using the child hooks in the rear for the car seats. It's much easier and it's definitely just as safe, if even more so.
Got pics?

Where do the horizontal belts clip to?

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
no pics right now.

The horizontal eyelets still need to be installed on the seat belt mounting bolt on the seat and the one in-between the door/B-Pillar
and no issues with getting the eyelets installed? didn't need to enlarge and of the eyelets?

do the rear clips work with the rear seats in, or do you have to take them out?

I'm interested if it seems easier than the Schroth

Edit: My main concern is how the door/B-Pillar bolt works with the Takata? Do you still have the Schroth style bracket where the eyelet needs to be enlarged, or is there something else going on?

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I don’t understand what the advantage is on using the child seat locks if you still have to install the eyelets on the front/rear. The quick fit just clicks into the existing seatbelt receptor on one side and the harness you install on the other side, it’s a simple as possible IMO.

grembal

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 Rabbit, '99 MX5
Used the same process with my old Fiesta quickfit, works great. I thought id run into issues with the strap lengths but I guess the interior dimensions between the two cars aren't too far off. Love that it takes a minute to put on and take off and you can just pop the right buckle off if you need to use the stock belt for any reason.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I don’t understand what the advantage is on using the child seat locks if you still have to install the eyelets on the front/rear. The quick fit just clicks into the existing seatbelt receptor on one side and the harness you install on the other side, it’s a simple as possible IMO.
There's a limit on belt strap adjustment at least on the Takata, so by using the child safety, you get more strap to use, and they are very symmetrical.

Also, don't need to install the rear eyelets since you are using the child safety hooks.

Don't need to enlarge anything. The B pillar does poke out a little on the bottom since the eyelet is there, but nothing noticeable.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
There's a limit on belt strap adjustment at least on the Takata, so by using the child safety, you get more strap to use, and they are very symmetrical.

Also, don't need to install the rear eyelets since you are using the child safety hooks.

Don't need to enlarge anything. The B pillar does poke out a little on the bottom since the eyelet is there, but nothing noticeable.
Ah I misunderstood, thought you said you still needed to install rear eyelets.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion

How do the lap belts attach? I assume the shoulder straps attach to the child eyelets in the rear seat?
Are these what you got? https://www.takataracing.com/item/drift-iii-snap/drift-series

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion

I'd love to see a pic of how it all goes together in the b-pillar area if and when you have the chance.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
So the eyelet is "permanently" installed in the B pillar and seat belt.

And I can clip the entire thing out when I am not on track, especially since it's my daily, that was very important. It's a bit tricky to get the right of the seat belt side clipped in and out, but it's doable.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
So the eyelet is "permanently" installed in the B pillar and seat belt.

And I can clip the entire thing out when I am not on track, especially since it's my daily, that was very important. It's a bit tricky to get the right of the seat belt side clipped in and out, but it's doable.
Interesting that you didn't have to modify the eyelet since the kit is made by Schroth right? Maybe you're one of the ones that had the "old" sized seatbelt bolts.

Anyway, thanks for the pictures, definitely going to give this some more thought.