GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How To: replace manual gear knob

koosh

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk5 golf
another from me :) this time gear knob replacement. i thought that the mk5 got a pretty crap standard gear knob! love the Gti version but for £150 it doesnt wash well with me.... so i improvised with some "other" OEM options!

first up is push the gear stick into 3rd. helps get a grip under the gaitor:

put your thumb under the front side of the gaitor and pull upwards. yu will feel a lip/gap where yu can put your thumbs between and pull! it helps to have 2 thumbs under but i had to take a pic at the same time :p :

lift the gaitor upwards so yu reveal the little ring at the bottom of the gear knob. squeeze, pull, twist and yank at the ring with a pair of pliers till yu can pull upwards on the gear knob to remove it:

place a screwdriver under the little clip cap and push it upwards. yu may unclip one side and when yu move onto the opposite side fid that yu just keep pivoting it back and forwards so the trick is to wedge something in the already open side to keep it from closing! be as brute as yu want as it can take a fair bit of puishment plus it will be hidden anyways:

now your old gear knob should be free its time to start putting the new one on (in my case its from an Audi A3 with a chrome collar):

place the end of the new gear knob through the hole in the top of the gaitorand slip the new clip cap on half way. position the hole of the gaitor inside such that when yu clip it shut no slipts or ends will be showing from the top. (note: at this point make sure the fatter end of the gaitor surround is at the top of the gear knob so that when yu replace it its facing the correct way):

push the little clip cap down tosecurely grip the gaitor. now replace or use your old metal ring depending on how much yu anihalated it upon removal:

fit the new gear knob and secure it with either the old metal clip or a zip tie. should stop it moving up and down. then lastly clip the surround into place:

now admire your new gear knob :) oh and dont forget your wrist bands from previous years shows :D :

as yu can see below there are a million and one OEM and non-OEM options availible and all it takes its a bit time and ingenuity and yu can get anything to fit :D

first one is a leaher one from a mk4, second up is from an old audi with a color coded UG top plate, second is an old soft leather one from an old audi and the last one is a skoda octavia number :D

cheers!

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
hmm i kinda like that last one, but the audi one is nice too, different for sure.
good write up btw! :thumbsup:

koosh

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk5 golf
thanks man!

yeah the last one is from a Skoda. its got a good shape to it and feels real good in your hand :p prolly wont see mnay over the pong though eh!

westy123

HELP!...

Hi,

I'm trying to replace my gaitor and gear knob but when i take the old one off there is something on the stick. Its been like this since i bought it and the knob fell off and ive only just got round to trying to replace!

the following refs are on the stick and also pics below. i think i need to remove this somehow so i can just click the new knob on? can anyone help??

vw1.jpg

vw2.jpg

vw3.jpg

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
can anyone help me with reattaching the plastic thing that holds the book in place on the knob? I can't get it on for the life of me after swapping out the shifter knob. Its and OEM knob too, from the MKVI. The plastic retainer thing goes over the leather boot but I cannot squeeze it back into place therefore not holding the gaiter in place properly. Any advice? I'm thinking about just cutting it in half, putting it on now that it has slack and clamping it down with a metal clamp??

slomotion

What size shifter (the inside). Trying to look into replacing it and was what to look for. Thanks ahead of time for the newbie question.

Phaeacian

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the diy! :thumbsup:

As it happens, most of the chrome trim on my MKV Rabbit shift knob has rubbed off, and the boot is beginning to shed. Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about replacing it with OEM (not crazy about the price, either).

Mr Conner

I have exactly the same problem

Hi,

I'm trying to replace my gaitor and gear knob but when i take the old one off there is something on the stick. Its been like this since i bought it and the knob fell off and ive only just got round to trying to replace!

the following refs are on the stick and also pics below. i think i need to remove this somehow so i can just click the new knob on? can anyone help??

View attachment 67693

View attachment 67694

View attachment 67695
Got the exact same problem. What did you do to combat this problem or can any one else help me with this.
Thanks